Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my daily commute into work this morning and things were going quite well until a couple of miles before the Pentagon. In fact, I had fallen in behind another Goldwing and we were doing a touch faster than traffic, but not enough to garner any attention from Virginia's Finest.

Then the two sport bikes showed up...

Almost every day I expect a car to merge into my lane, taking away my "2 second" safety buffer. Don't get me wrong - sometimes that safety buffer isn't that large and this was one of those times. I was maybe less than one second this time. I know I shouldn't have it so small, but sometimes the traffic requires it.

The two sport bikes ran up the right lane, then dumped in front of me in the left, which then caused me to have to lay on the brakes hard. The trailing sport bike couldn't have been more than 10 feet in front of me AND had decided that he liked my track/side of the lane as well. After my saying a few audible choice words and laying back, they then moved into a left hand exit lane to go west. I pulled up to each of them, still travelling at speed and gave each of them the single finger international sign of greeting.

I'm not usually that critical of another rider, but sadly these two pushed the wrong button with me this morning. If these two jerks consider me a bad rider, I hope that they continue to think so. I believe them to be well on their way to being part of the growing statistics of sport bikers being found to be too aggressive and prone to unfortunate injuries and/or death.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Usually its someone else flipping me the bird:) I most always drive briskly above ambient traffic speed and 'flow' through traffic. I do change lanes (sometimes very closely) in front of traffic but at the same or higher speed than the vehicle in front of me. I am very comfortable doing this and maybe my comfort zone around traffic around me is different than yours as I am very transient and don't stick around unless I am stuck in traffic. I don't slow down in front of someone, causing someone to 'react/over-react', after I change lanes in front of them like it sounds the sportbikers did to you. Those bikers better start realizing that their small rides are no match for getting rear ended by a larger, less mobile cage.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually its someone else flipping me the bird:) I most always drive briskly above ambient traffic speed and 'flow' through traffic. I do change lanes (sometimes very closely) in front of traffic but at the same or higher speed than the vehicle in front of me. I am very comfortable doing this and maybe my comfort zone around traffic around me is different than yours as I am very transient and don't stick around unless I am stuck in traffic. I don't slow down in front of someone, causing someone to 'react/over-react', after I change lanes in front of them like it sounds the sportbikers did to you. Those bikers better start realizing that their small rides are no match for getting rear ended by a larger, less mobile cage.
Well, apparently what you and I call "safe" are two different things. Merging very closely got two guys pulled over last week (they too were on sport bikes - I see a trend here.) when they merged in front of a car too closely as far as the State Trooper that saw it happen was concerned. And, actually, I agreed with the Trooper's action that they needed to be pulled over to be reminded that weaving in and out of traffic lanes like that is Aggressive Driving as far as the law iis concerned.

No, the two that I encountered did not slow down when they merged within 10 feet of me this morning. The fact that they did it so closely, regardless of the speed was what tripped my trigger. And did I overreact because of the merge? No, it was the space that they did NOT leave me that did. The fact that they - other bikers - took my safety buffer away from me pissed me off.

I try to represent bikers in a positive fashion to those in traffic around me and those two idiots obviously didn't give a damn about my safety or their own. They are truly an accident looking for a place to happen.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I'm with you Rapier I try to leave myself a buffer zone not only on my bike but in my car also and it ticks me off when someone tries to fill that space.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
You expressed what you really felt. Maybe next time he won't do what he did, or at least will think about it.

I was a young rider once too and did some stupid things. Luckily I lived through it.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I say atta boy rapier! I get my feathers ruffle when idiots do their stupid dance too. I don't desciminate bewteen bikes or cages, if someone gets on my bad side I let them know in no uncertain terms where they rate with me. I had a gal in a Caddy cut a buddy and myself off in Edmonton some years back when I was riding the Vulcan. Blaine went around one side of her and I the other way. She got about 130 Db of open V&H's from me and roughly the same of Screaming Eagle music from Blaine. We stopped on either side of her at the next light where she rolled down the window and apollogetically cried "sorry I didn't see you" I calmy told her I doubted she would have seen a (colourful expletive deleted) Greyhound Bus. I know, bad form on my part but the message got across.
As to squids on rockets, I have nothing but disdain for stupidity, stunting and blatant disregard for the safety of others. If they want to turn themselves into a grease spot on the asphalt, fair marks to them, just don't make me (or anyone else) a part of it in the process.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
They got what they deserved. There is enough to worry about with cages pulling in front and trailing right behind you in traffic without having to worry about another biker cutting you off of causing you to break hard and being hit from behind.

Ride safe...

·
Registered
741 Posts
But I always wave Hello as I drive on past;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You guys are lucky you don't live in Houston. Drivers here have a reputation for aggressive driving and many have complete disregard and disrespect for motorcycles. It will really get to you if you let it. I try to ignore it and try to keep my space, sometimes both are hard to do. But you have to be careful here, road rage is very prevalent and a lot of people carry guns, but even if they don't have a gun they don't mind using their car as a weapon. I just try to survive. I love to get out of the city and get on the back roads!

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Just an interjection on the thought process of a sport bike rider. There was a group of them in our area that when one of them wiped out, all left, leaving him lay on the side of the road! Another motorist happened to see him and got help!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I saw that group too. Now there are bikers laying everywhere!

·
Registered
466 Posts
You guys are lucky you don't live in Houston. Drivers here have a reputation for aggressive driving and many have complete disregard and disrespect for motorcycles. It will really get to you if you let it. I try to ignore it and try to keep my space, sometimes both are hard to do. But you have to be careful here, road rage is very prevalent and a lot of people carry guns, but even if they don't have a gun they don't mind using their car as a weapon. I just try to survive. I love to get out of the city and get on the back roads!
This is SO TRUE! I ride in I-45, Beltway 8 east, Hardy traffic every day! Just think of it as "Conditioning" or continuing rider education.
After riding on a regular basis in Houston, you can go anywhere else and it's a cake walk!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just another day at the institution dealing with those who have mental impairments. Personally, I don't think you, me or anyone else would be safe in a 18 wheeler!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
All this talk makes me realize one more time how lucky I am to live in the boonies. Rode through northern Californina 3 years ago and got a taste of their aggressive driving, SOP there it seemed, but I'll deal with a tractor or wide implement in the road any day over that. Rode 325 miles today, biggest problem was high winds and 90 degees.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is SO TRUE! I ride in I-45, Beltway 8 east, Hardy traffic every day! Just think of it as "Conditioning" or continuing rider education.
After riding on a regular basis in Houston, you can go anywhere else and it's a cake walk!
I think you are right. I have ridden in the Los Angeles area several different times... you hear people talk about road rage, etc. - I felt very safe there. For the most part people stay in their lane, use their blinkers, and drive pretty safely. They also make it a point to yield to motorcycles and there were even multiple occasions that cars changed lanes to let me pass when I was coming up behind them. Here in Houston the freeways are more like a combat zone.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ditto! I live just north of Houston and try to not ride south. I 45 is real bad from The Woodlands south. I have my own way of dealing with tailgaters. I wave them back thend pretend to throw something over my sholder. Those that pull right in front of me I slow down and let them go. Aggresive riding just causes road rage.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
This is a hot button for me.
In heavy traffic, the gap is non-existant and I deal with it. With that, those who race up to my tail lights to try to intimidate me or weave in traffic piss me off. I know weavers think they aren't causing check ups because they are doing it 'safely' but that is BS and you know it. All you need is someone around that over reacts because they aren't at the same level of confidence as you, they hit the brakes and then causes a chain reaction behind them that gets worse. Go ahead and wink in laughter if you are a weaver, you are playing with peoples lives, not yours.

I had a Ram 1500 weave and weave in heavy traffic for 10 miles. We got off on the same exit where there were 4 lanes waiting at at light. I honked 3 or 4 times until I had everyones attention then I pointed at him so everyone would look and then flipped him the bird.

there is a day coming when I will hunt these a**holes down beat there headlights back to their dashboard. I can't wait to retire and not worry about having to show up for work the following day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I see a very dangerous trend that I believe the OP ran into. This is "stunt" driving on the street, and it is being promoted by things like You Tube videos of drivers/riders being dangerous, wheelies, etc.

the wife and I and two other couples were towing our bikes (all six) on three trailers behind our three trucks to Florida early this spring for a little vacation. On a non-interstate divided four-lane in Alabama, I was in the middle position, when a car came speeding alongside me and just as it got to my front bumper, it wildly pulled in front of me. I swear, there could not have been more than a foot between us as it almost overreacted and got quite a bit sideways in front of me then sped off towards the lead truck. I had NO time to react, I had been watching my mirrors but this guy came up on us like a shot. Because I had no time to react, I never even changed the gas or touched the brake, but I got on the FRS radio to warn my friend in the front truck that this jerk might pull the same trick on him. Luckily he didn't. We did not manage to get his license plate or we would have called him in.

I am sure this was part of a stunt of some sort as the driver probably was just thinking he was cool. We were flowing with traffic, in a line in the right lane, and leaving room between us, I can't imagine what I might have done to cause this guy to do this, so it was just a stunt.

I see stuff like this more and more, fast cars on interstates in Chicago area especially, going 90-100 in heavy traffic and not slowing down. Crotch rocket bikes doing the same or wheelies. Hey and don't get me started on "loud pipes save lives!" :(

Glad you weren't hurt, and yes, these types will take themselves out of the gene pool, I just hope it is before they have the courage to mate!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts