Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cold

5K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  Astor123 
#1 ·
I'm new to this site hello everyone. My first question is. I live in az it never snows here so I can ride year around. But I still think it is too cold so. What type of winter clothing do you guys-girls where in the really cold states?

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum from Pa. How about thermal underwear, two layers of socks, thermal boots, a ski mask. sweatshirt and a double layer jacket. Oh, and put the heated grips and seat on as well....

#5 ·
Welcome from Down Under. When its cold here I put the layers on. 1 or 2 thermo shirts and the same with the long john thermo. 2 thermo socks and Rossi boots. Thick thermo gloves and a neck warmer. We cant get the electric vest Down Under, but I will get them when I get to the USA. The advantage with the thermo gear is if the weather inproves the thermo gear doesn't take up much room. I know it doesn;t get as cold here but it can get down to 1C or lower. Eric

#6 · (Edited)
Richard 85,

As I have said many times 2 words - Gerbing & Firstgear.

However if you can't or don't want to invest in Heated Gear than I would suggest the following:

LD Comfort Helmet liner & riding shorts
Turtleneck shirt
Flannel lined Jeans
Fleece Jacket
Riding Jacket w/a Liner

As it warms you can take the fleece off, continuing warming you can lose the liner in your riding jacket. The flannel lined jeans usually do not create a problem unless it gets into the 80's & wear the LD stuff even when it's 100*.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I'm sure you could even be comfortable down into the mid 30's/40's dressed like that because it probably doesn't stay that temp too long. If you need to go less than that or if you're going to ride in that temp all day then go back to those 2 words I told you in the beginning. You won't be sorry you did.

Ride Safe.

#8 ·
Ditto on the layered clothing. As to your picture/avatar click on the User CP and on the left menu click on picture or avatar and go from there. It's pretty easy.

#11 ·
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
If it gets cold, usually wear thermals under my pants and shirt and wear one of the old style Honda Goldwing Millennium jackets with the liner and when it starts to get warm I remove the jacket.

#13 ·
While it doesn’t get “really” cold here we do get down below freezing. The good thing is that we hardly ever see snow and as long as the roads are clear I’ll ride. I have a leather jacket and chaps, both with liners. If it is going to stay below 50 I’ll add the long underwear and a fleece jacket. I’ve also got a good pair of winter gloves and a neck shroud. With my work boots I always have two pair of socks (cotton and wool) which work well no matter the temperature. The heated grips and seat are great.

Saying all that, I’m looking for Gerbing gear for the wife and I may as well get a jacket liner at the same time……

#14 ·
Richard:

We don't get real cold in this part of Georgia but on a recent trip over the mountains to Tennessee we ran into snow and ice and the gauge on my Wing read 35 degrees at New Found Gap on the NC/TN border.

We had chaps and lined leathers plus my wife put a nylon jacket under her stuff. I was comfortable but she said she was cozy. Of course her Can Am Spyder has an electric windshield that she can raise to cut the wind chill plus it has heated grips and seat.

rickrae

Attachments

#16 ·
Cold is relative. If you are accustomed to warm weather, 60 may seem cold or may seem hot if you're coming in from -10. Here in NE Ohio, it may be 60 during the day but can drop off quickly into the forties and thirties, though there are some in this area that ride year round, they are the few, the brave and the crazy!

#17 ·
Once it starts freezing at night I rarely get the Wing out. We have lots of moisture and trees around here, Even during the day there can still be slick areas in places where it doesn't get any sun during the day. Hit one of them and the Old Pucker String gets pulled pretty tight.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

#18 ·
I went out riding yesterday here in northern Illinois.Sunny mid-forties until sunset,then 41 when we rode home.I wore a polar fleece sweatshirt under my foul weather gear from West Marine.The jacket isn't lined,but has a nice flannel-type collar that keeps the wind off my neck,and also velcro on the wrists and neck.I bought a set of scuba gloves for my hands and just put a set of Baker-Built hand wings on the mirrors.Mostly its a matter of experimenting with different layers and combinations.The weatherman says winters' gonna close in on us by the end of the week,but if we get some dry days I'm gonna' try riding with a snowmobile suit.

#21 ·
Cold Weather Gear

Layering is fine and well for cool temperatures. But when it gets really cold there is no substitute for heated gear. I live at 4500' where temperatures when I start and finish a ride are often near freezing, but riding 30 miles either direction off the mountain nets a normal 20 degree increase in the temperature. For years I wore a Tourmaster Flex jacket and pants and they served me well. I would start a ride with long johns of varying weights, and sometimes a fleece or down jacket and pants, the jacket cover on and liner in. As the temperature warmed I would remove the liner, and then cover, and reinstall them at the end of the day when I rode home. It worked, but at the end of a long day of riding, replacing removed long john pants and tops, snapping and zipping the liner/cover back in and on is a pain and takes a fair amount of time. Now, I wear light weight thermals, my heated liner and gloves, and leathers. When I start my ride I've got my heated gear turned on and cranked up, and as it warms I decrease the temp until I can turn it off, and unplug. When I return home, I simply plug in and turn the heated gear back on and increase the temperature as needed. MUCH easier and quicker! My Tourmaster Flex has been relegated to a strictly a summer jacket as I keep the liner/cover out and off all the time now.

#24 ·
I'll ride down here in sympathy for you. Isn't there a good bit of white stuff around where you live?

I had to go to a meeting yesterday. Since it wasn't downtown I took the Yamaha. When I left the house it was 30 degrees, put all the linings in the leathers and was feeling fine. The afternoon was a beautiful mid-50's. We got out early so I took the long way home. Then as I got close I took a left and went on another loop. Pulled into the garage as the sun was getting low.

#25 ·
it's snowing in my state but none sticking on the roads in my area. should reach a high temp of 33f but no snow

#27 ·
it was 32f when i picked up the wing. i wore a short sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, synergy jacket liner, and my leather jacket. expedition weight thermos, cabela fleece lined jeans , and venture overpants. one pair of sox, a pair of ankle high footies, and my tourmaster response sc boots. for gloves i had long gantlette deerskin winter gloves and some glove liners that i got from " work n gear ". with the jacket liner on medium my upper body was too warm but my legs, feet and hands were fine

#28 ·
I've lived in Vegas for 20 years now but am from AZ. It gets a little colder here but temps are close. I have a light suit from wheels of man that I got before I came here. They don't seem to be in buisness anymore. Shame, you can see the suit lasts. At any rate a light insulated suit will keep you warm down to freezing without any other jacket. Try looking at military gear through the surplus stores. Had som good luck there.

#31 ·
. Now that I have them I just don't know why you woudn't. I mean if you look at the money that most of us invest in our Wings, Heated Gear is a very low percent of the overall picture. I could see if people didn't want to be hardwired (doesn't bother me) but then get the battery powered ones. I read a good article once, I'll try to find it, about keeping warm & the affects if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.