Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site hello everyone. My first question is. I live in az it never snows here so I can ride year around. But I still think it is too cold so. What type of winter clothing do you guys-girls where in the really cold states?

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. How about thermal underwear, two layers of socks, thermal boots, a ski mask. sweatshirt and a double layer jacket. Oh, and put the heated grips and seat on as well....

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. When its cold here I put the layers on. 1 or 2 thermo shirts and the same with the long john thermo. 2 thermo socks and Rossi boots. Thick thermo gloves and a neck warmer. We cant get the electric vest Down Under, but I will get them when I get to the USA. The advantage with the thermo gear is if the weather inproves the thermo gear doesn't take up much room. I know it doesn;t get as cold here but it can get down to 1C or lower. Eric

·
Administrator
29,489 Posts
Richard 85,

As I have said many times 2 words - Gerbing & Firstgear.

However if you can't or don't want to invest in Heated Gear than I would suggest the following:

LD Comfort Helmet liner & riding shorts
Turtleneck shirt
Flannel lined Jeans
Fleece Jacket
Riding Jacket w/a Liner

As it warms you can take the fleece off, continuing warming you can lose the liner in your riding jacket. The flannel lined jeans usually do not create a problem unless it gets into the 80's & wear the LD stuff even when it's 100*.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I'm sure you could even be comfortable down into the mid 30's/40's dressed like that because it probably doesn't stay that temp too long. If you need to go less than that or if you're going to ride in that temp all day then go back to those 2 words I told you in the beginning. You won't be sorry you did.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
24,218 Posts
Ditto on the layered clothing. As to your picture/avatar click on the User CP and on the left menu click on picture or avatar and go from there. It's pretty easy.

·
Super Moderator
7,953 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
If it gets cold, usually wear thermals under my pants and shirt and wear one of the old style Honda Goldwing Millennium jackets with the liner and when it starts to get warm I remove the jacket.

·
Administrator
16,067 Posts
While it doesn’t get “really” cold here we do get down below freezing. The good thing is that we hardly ever see snow and as long as the roads are clear I’ll ride. I have a leather jacket and chaps, both with liners. If it is going to stay below 50 I’ll add the long underwear and a fleece jacket. I’ve also got a good pair of winter gloves and a neck shroud. With my work boots I always have two pair of socks (cotton and wool) which work well no matter the temperature. The heated grips and seat are great.

Saying all that, I’m looking for Gerbing gear for the wife and I may as well get a jacket liner at the same time……

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cold is relative. If you are accustomed to warm weather, 60 may seem cold or may seem hot if you're coming in from -10. Here in NE Ohio, it may be 60 during the day but can drop off quickly into the forties and thirties, though there are some in this area that ride year round, they are the few, the brave and the crazy!

·
Premium Member
16,609 Posts
Once it starts freezing at night I rarely get the Wing out. We have lots of moisture and trees around here, Even during the day there can still be slick areas in places where it doesn't get any sun during the day. Hit one of them and the Old Pucker String gets pulled pretty tight.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome from the ShoMeState. I haven't found anything better than leather to stop the wind. I go with my old vented leather jacket with zip in thermo lining and chaps. The jacket is actually comfortable up to about 70 degrees with the lining out and all vents open.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome from Aussie land, ride all year round where i'm at so my heated grips & seat only get turned on just to test if working! need a cooling suit here in summer if you have any idea's!

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
come ride with me tomorrow, ive got to pick up the 1500 wing from the dealer

·
Administrator
16,067 Posts
come ride with me tomorrow, ive got to pick up the 1500 wing from the dealer
I'll ride down here in sympathy for you. Isn't there a good bit of white stuff around where you live?

I had to go to a meeting yesterday. Since it wasn't downtown I took the Yamaha. When I left the house it was 30 degrees, put all the linings in the leathers and was feeling fine. The afternoon was a beautiful mid-50's. We got out early so I took the long way home. Then as I got close I took a left and went on another loop. Pulled into the garage as the sun was getting low.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
it's snowing in my state but none sticking on the roads in my area. should reach a high temp of 33f but no snow

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
To answer your question with one word; layers.
it was 32f when i picked up the wing. i wore a short sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, synergy jacket liner, and my leather jacket. expedition weight thermos, cabela fleece lined jeans , and venture overpants. one pair of sox, a pair of ankle high footies, and my tourmaster response sc boots. for gloves i had long gantlette deerskin winter gloves and some glove liners that i got from " work n gear ". with the jacket liner on medium my upper body was too warm but my legs, feet and hands were fine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.