Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that the temps are going down ( for some of us ) who's planning to ride through the winter months

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'll ride until the first major snowfall. Living in the snowbelt, as soon as the snow flies they dump a ton of salt and sand on the roads. Not only does it make every curve dangerous, it's rough on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Count the Ole' Fossil out William, Daddy is about 2 weeks from putting his little girl to bed until March or April.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Once it gets consistently in the 30's I give up. Try to get one day that is warm enough to wash the bike and get it filled with fuel and put it to bed until Spring. That, unfortunately is about 3 weeks away.. BUT, the good news is Spring is only 4 1/2 month away.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My bike has been in hibernation mode for a couple weeks now. There are a few die hards still out in the afternoons but for my tastes it just isn't worth it. I wish our spring came as early as yours Two Wheel, we've got usually well into April before the riding season starts around here, what with the salt and sand on the roads left over from the snows & ice. A solid six months of winter weather makes you appreciate the riding when it does come though.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is going to be about 50f tomorrow and up near 60 sunday so i'm riding but done after that. my wings go in my neighbors garage for the winter so even if we get a warm day i hate to bother her just to ride for a few hours. once i put them away that it till april

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I wish our spring came as early as yours Two Wheel, we've got usually well into April before the riding season starts around here, what with the salt and sand on the roads left over from the snows & ice. A solid six months of winter weather makes you appreciate the riding when it does come though.;)
Lately, it seems that way around here also. By the time everything clears and roads are fixed it's usually the beginning of April. But one can still dream for an early spring....

·
Registered
34 Posts
feeling lucky

I'm lucky enough to live in the south and get to ride year round. I live in north Florida and make several trips each year to the Keys, New Orleans and central Alabama (which SOUNDS like, but doesn't FELL like, the south during the winter months).

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Mike, what's it like riding in the Keys? I'm headed that way in late March to tickle the sharks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
riding to the keys

To be honest riding to the keys isn't quite as glamorous as it sounds... first you have to navigate the hiways thru southern Florida, which really get crazy at about West Palm on thru Miami... but of you have the means you can bypass a good chuck of that by takign the Florida Turnpike. And if you choose to do that your REALLY should consider buying a Sunpass... which allows you to zip thru the toll booths.

Once you get past the Florida main land you have 121 miles (i think!?!?!) to Key West. You'll want to plan ahead so you're not riding this piece on a weekend and definitely not on a holiday. It's still bearable if if you don't head this advice... but much more enjoyable if you do. The 1st half is seems like "small town on the water, bridge over a creek, small town on the water, bridge over a slightly bigger creek, etc". The second part of the 121 mile stretch is where you start enjoying your ride... beautiful stretches of ocean up front, on the left and on the right (which is really the gulf side). Nice long bridges, cool names as you enter a new key... making you wonder who named them and why!?!?!

Once you arrive at Key West you'll be amazed at how small it is. We usually stay at a NAS (naval air station) and can easily walk to Duval St (for shopping, sight seeing, drinking).

Now that I've re-counted those memories I'd have to say it is worth the ride thru south Florida’s hiways. One more thing... on the way back up (or down) be sure to schedule 4 or 5 hour (round trip) to the Everglades National Park.
Sorry I got long winded.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thanks Mike. We are actually going to be in Key Largo (our base for the stay) but it will coincide with spring break I think. But we're there for two weeks so could likely rent a scoot and ride a day or two during the week to avoid most of the pressure from the revellers. Just seems too hard to pass up to be there and not ride at least a little. Heck, we rented a Harley a few years back and toured Grand Cayman for a day (can you say HOT?).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts