Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up in wi area and would like to know if anyone else has problems getting their goldwing to fire and run mine just cranks but won't start. Battery is good and on a charge I think it's because of low oil pressure it won't fire. No problems at all when it's warm outside. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What year Gold Wing? The GL1500 will somtimes need full choke to start when cold. Anything under 90 degrees fahrenheit will require some amount of choke. Keep in mind that the GL1500 is going to give you issues if the battery voltage drops into the 10 volt area while cranking.

The GL1800 should start effortlessly in any temperature that your body will tolerate to ride in providing the battery is up to snuff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see on another post you have a GL1500. As MichaelB stated above, it's a Honda. It's cold blooded and wants more choke.

At this point you have drained the battery. Charge it up and/or add a booster pack.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year Gold Wing? The GL1500 will somtimes need full choke to start when cold. Anything under 90 degrees fahrenheit will require some amount of choke. Keep in mind that the GL1500 is going to give you issues if the battery voltage drops into the 10 volt area while cranking.

The GL1800 should start effortlessly in any temperature that your body will tolerate to ride in providing the battery is up to snuff.
It's a 97 pops right off in the warm weather but really crabby when it's cold outside, oil pressure have anything to do with it being 10w40?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nope, oil pressure is not a factor. If the oil light goes out, the pressure is good. Lack of oil pressure is not something that will prevent starting, at least that has been my experience.

Reactions: Fla wing

·
Registered
684 Posts
The 1500 is extremely cold blooded, mine needed full choke plus a hint of throttle to fire off under 60°. Then if it does fire let it warm up till it will take throttle without any choke before you ride away.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I forgot to mention that there are starting instructions in the owners manual.
It appears that starting at anything below 35°C (95°f) requires the use of the choke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have the 1500 try pumping the throttle 2 or 3 times prior to cranking. The accelerator pump squirts raw gas into the intake and if you have spark and compression, it will fire.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have owned 3 1500 wings, when it gets cold I twist the throttle 2 or 3 times and choke it and they would start right up. On my 98 I would turn the throttle 2 or 3 times and didn't even have to use the choke and it would fire right up in the cold weather. A big factor on the 1500 is a great battery, not just a good one

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
82 GL1100 Wineberry Red Std w/ Full Vetter Gear
46 Posts
I'm rocking an 82-1100 out of Minnesota. I'm a first time Gold Wing owner. I also was surprised at how cold-blooded they can behave. Mine gets up from cold to running temperature, and I still have to tickle the throttle to take off from a stop in first gear. But after a few minutes with the machine running all that hesitation vanishes. Then, if I park it for more than twenty minutes I often need to use the choke to get it started again. It's all just a part of the bikes personality. At least mine is consistent anyways.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
The 1500 GL and Valkyrie both have rather weak coils so the trick is twofold. You may need to jump the battery to get full voltage and hit the starter and release. As soon as you release the start button the coils will get full power and that is when the engine will fire. My Valkyrie is this was and I can start it in any weather as long as I don't hold the start button on continuous. The alternate is to replace the coils with something better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts