Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old girl takes a lot of engine turning before she fires up. Is there one or more techniques to getting a very cold 193 wing to start?

thanks for any suggestions....

j

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm not much of a wrench, but it could be the fuel system needs some attention. Is the bike harder on fuel than it used to be? Not sure if it's EFI or carbed, but some checking on the fuel pressure (EFI) or the carbs needing a good cleaning? Could also be spark plugs are due for replacing.:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plugs are good, carbs were sync not 5000 miles ago...gas mileage has gone down some but very little...and yes it is carbed and not injected...

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
maybe your choke cable need adjusting, weak battery, bad gas. dirty fuel filter?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Or carbs need cleaning. And syncing.
And what year is it? your note says 193, which means either 1983 or 1993.
One will have 4 carbs and the other will have 2.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been told there is a "C54" connector that gets cruddy and needs to be cleaned with contact cleaner occasionally. If it gets cruddy, it can affect starting.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
My money goes on the choke and/or cable. If it's not working properly the Wing will take a long time to fire up.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Does it start once you let go of the starter button? If so, your battery is weak. If the battery is good try this, turn the throttle 3 or 4 times, then release it, hit the started button and don't touch the throttle, works on most 1500's but I think you have either a 1100 or 1200 but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your GW with carbs. sits for awhile (a few months) crack the drain plug on each carb one at a time and let a bit of gas drain out (Engine not running)This always helped my 83
interstate after a lay off, gas goes stail quite quickly.

-Robert-

·
Registered
263 Posts
My '94SE did the same thing until i replaced the battery.If your battery is a few years old,replace it,if not,get a maintainer,let it fully charge up & see what happens.I'm a car wrench,i guess the ECU on these needs close to 12volts to work properly.Most cars will operate proper as low as 9.2volts(during cranking)If you get a battery,my opinion is gel is best. Good Luck. Let us know what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts