Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
JUdy and I are interested. Let’s make it happen.

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The more the merrier. Hopefully our dates coincide. As I mentioned we're heading out the morning of the 1st and will be in the area (actual location to be determined) on the 4th. Gives us a few days to tour around and then leaving either mid Sunday the 8th or first thing Monday the 9th.
Don't relish the thought of doing the QEII marathon each way but not a lot of choice if you live up in the sticks like we do. I guess I could take Hwy 22 for a diversion on one leg but there's not a lot of services that way...probably better to stay on the slab.

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Haven't figured that out yet. I'm going to talk with Kerry soon and see how he and Liana got there. The more scenic the better IMO but from Calgary south until central MT there isn't a lot of choice either unless I head through Babb and catch the east side of Glacier and then head towards Boseman. From Shelby on it's pretty barren for a long ways. I'm sure as heck not busy today so I have time to do some looking.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Haven't figured that out yet. I'm going to talk with Kerry soon and see how he and Liana got there. The more scenic the better IMO but from Calgary south until central MT there isn't a lot of choice either unless I head through Babb and catch the east side of Glacier and then head towards Boseman. From Shelby on it's pretty barren for a long ways. I'm sure as heck not busy today so I have time to do some looking.
We went down through SweetGrass but stayed at Milk River, AB one night. Next day to Great Falls/Lewis & Clark Nat'l Forest, then to Billings for a night. From there we went Southeast to Ranchester so we could ride through the Bighorns and Shell Canyon on the way back west to Cody.

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That run through Great Falls and Lewis & Clark is how I came back last summer. Looked like the whole state was on fire at times. That route from Billings looks interesting! I'll see what Ron is planning for his route.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Haven't picked a route for us yet, but I highly recommend the Ranchester - Shell Canyon route, be sure and stop at Shell Canyon and take the walk for a look see.
Last year they were work in there and had it shut down.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Haven't picked a route for us yet, but I highly recommend the Ranchester - Shell Canyon route, be sure and stop at Shell Canyon and take the walk for a look see.
Last year they were work in there and had it shut down.
Let me know what route you are taking, if you don't mind the company we could tag along once you get into Idaho. :ride:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Flip Of A Coin -

Hey Budoka, Depending on your allowed time, heading south out of Edmonton to Lethbridge would cover the most ground the fastest. After that it may be down to the flip of a coin.

I had some good friends from Athabaska while on contract with the Suncor Tar Sands in Fort McMurry. It was amazing to see how those CAT 797 350 ton haul trucks actually push a moving wave of soft earth just in front of their wheels when they cross the flats. The ground under your feet feels like jello as the mining equipment passes by.

On my 1st trip to northern Alberta I was sworn in as an honorary Canook and told to always wear a Toque, end every sentence with "eh" and drink plenty of "Double-Doubles" because there were only two seasons in Northern Alberta - Last Winter and This Winter. :) Actually, We were able to put lots of miles on our bikes riding through your beautiful country from up around Wood Buffalo and down to Banff and Lake Louise.

At one time the heavy oil trapped in the Alberta tar sand was est to be around the 200 billion barrel mark. That should generate a serious pile of Loonie's no matter how you stack em. Hopefully the TransCanada Pipeline will eventually be completed to the benefit of both our countries.

Good Luck with your up coming Cody holiday schedule, Michael

·
Registered
281 Posts
Company is always welcome. Where are you located??
I see you are in Post Fall, don't have a map handy just where is Post Falls
Post falls is right between Spokane and Coeur d'alene, right along the I-90. Depending on which way you go you may go right past it.

I was initially thinking of heading south on ID-95 and then east on US-12 until just above billings, and then drop down and back over towards Cody, but I am open to any route.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is not that far away from me, if you are dog friendly,(I have a chocolate lab that thinks he is a lap dog) I have a spare room that you are free to use if you want, or we can just meet that morning and ride out together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My sister lives in Bellingham and has been there about 6 yrs. I've spent a lot of time looking through Google maps and earth from bird's eye and road level but I really need to see it all.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
That is not that far away from me, if you are dog friendly,(I have a chocolate lab that thinks he is a lap dog) I have a spare room that you are free to use if you want, or we can just meet that morning and ride out together.
Thanks for the offer, I'll probably have another bike or two riding along with us. We'll have to see. We could meet at that first rest area on I-90.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
That sounds like a great trip we were out that way 2 summers ago would love to fo it on a bike this time. Not sure if this time will work but have a trip planned close to the area this summer around July. Heading to Medicine Hat to visit family and we are thinking of riding the Highway to the Sun on our way home.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I'll probably have another bike or two riding along with us. We'll have to see. We could meet at that first rest area on I-90.
Sounds good, just let me know where to meet you all. :smile2: The rest area would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
My sister lives in Bellingham and has been there about 6 yrs. I've spent a lot of time looking through Google maps and earth from bird's eye and road level but I really need to see it all.
You will not regret the ride. Be sure to save a couple days for the Black Hills area. It's 400 miles from Rapid City, SD to Cody, WY. Right in the middle of that ride is Buffalo, WY. My wife and I stayed at the Occidental Hotel on that trip and it was very nice. The southern route to Cody along US 16 is a good ride, but I liked the northern route along US 14 better with a stop at Shell Falls.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Let me know when you are coming and I set up a nice day ride. The Oso loop is a nice ride.

21 - 40 of 251 Posts