Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, we get to go to Cody, WY. Couldn't make it with the forum members on their trip. I have the following items on bucket list, please let me know if we are missing anything. Any suggestions for eating establishments would be appreciated.
Wind River Canyon, dinosaur center, Cody, Yellowstone, Chief Joseph Byway, Beartooth Hwy, Buffalo Bill museum and byway, 14/14a loop ride shell canyon, Grand Tetons and rodeo in Cody. Would like to hit Custer battlefield, Mount Rushmore and Devil's tower on way home if we have time. Found a nice place to rent out in Wapiti, Wy. Now I have to order Senior NP pass. New tires next. Really looking forward to this trip, never been in Wyoming before.:laugh2:

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
If they still have it going, there was a guided bus tour of Cody, very informative.
Also there was a Lodge at Burgess Junction where 14 and 14A come together on top of the Bighorns that had a great breakfast Buffet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ron. We had been thinking about Pacific Coast Highway, something I have wanted to do since I was 16 and got my first bike. With all the fires, mud slides, and now the bridge down, decided to do Cody.
Still want to see the redwoods someday.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Thanks Ron. We had been thinking about Pacific Coast Highway, something I have wanted to do since I was 16 and got my first bike. With all the fires, mud slides, and now the bridge down, decided to do Cody.
Still want to see the redwoods someday.
If you make it as far as the Northwest Corner of Washington lets us know, are good for a guided tour of local roads and a place to stay.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Also if you make it to the Lander, Wy. area check out the Sinks State park. The river has cut a hole in the rocks and drops underground then comes up about a mile farther down stream.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Greg, have you already been to Rapid City/Mt Rushmore area? Or is that coming up after Cody?

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
Greg you will enjoy that area for sure it's gorgeous. There are so many things to do and so many good roads to ride.

My only advice is this: Soak it all in and relax.

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
You definitely picked out the highlights. If you are looking for an interesting place to stay, Buffalo, WY has the Occidental Hotel. http://occidentalwyoming.com/ Martena and I stayed there on our way back from Cody, Cody, Cody and enjoyed it. Good place to eat and historic bar too.

While visiting Mount Rushmore don't miss riding the Iron Mountain Road, US 16A, for a great day on the bike.

I can also recommend the Firehouse Brewing Company in Rapid City for a quality adult beverage with your meal. https://www.firehousebrewing.com/

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Greg, if you run out of money, the first thing to do is PM Ron Robertson.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Be aware during the peak tourist season, Yellowstone can be a busy place. Plan on long waits throughout the park. A LOT of stop and go traffic. Your radiator fans will get a workout! Beautiful scenery however!

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Motel reservation are a must in peak tourist season. Also unless you absolutely have to stay in Cody, you can save $40.00 to $60.00 a night by staying in Powell about 30 miles east. The Lamp Lighter Motel or Super * plus some smaller Mom and Pop motel, Reservation recommended.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Greg, if you run out of money, the first thing to do is PM Ron Robertson.
????????????????????????????? WHY ME ????????????:laugh2::laugh2:

Get a picture of yourself at the sign in front of the Top of The World Store on Bear tooth Pass and I'll send to a certificate of Achievement .

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Get a picture of yourself at the sign in front of the Top of The World Store on Bear tooth Pass -----

Was there last Aug. You will love the ride. Have a great trip.

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Top of the World store on the Beartooth, right? A bunch of us had a fine time riding that and the Chief Joseph Byway together a couple of years ago, plus all the sites you've got planned. You'll have a great time!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Thanks guys, I will get a picture at the store. What will the temperature range be in August?
Taking liners for jackets and winter gloves for high elevations.
Last year 2nd week of Aug. it was 41 degrees when we left Red Lodge at 8:00 am. It didn't get any warmer as elevation increased. Still some snow at summit, winter gear a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
Just curious, which part of the Beartooth is everyone's favorite. From Chief Joseph to Red Lodge or Chief Joseph to Silver Gate NE Yellowstone?
Chief Joseph to Red Lodge is through Beartooth Pass and it is an awesome ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts