Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got the Cobra Scalloped slip ons 1215's installed. I did so to pick up the exhaust sound a bit.

The pipes look good and the sound of the exhaust is slightly louder than stock. I wouldnt even really say louder, I say a bit more deeper tone. These will not bother any of my neighbors and cant even be considered in the ball park of obnoxious. Although I like the sound, Im not sure the difference in sound is/was worth the money.

Next time Im out there fiddlin' Ill try to remember to get pics and a sound clip.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You may have now put your warranty in jeopardy by modifying you bike with a non-manufacturer approved part, not installed by a tech at an authorized dealership!
May or may not be the case but, should you have a motor problem, make sure you get the OEM mufflers back on prior to taking the bike to a dealer!

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
While we are on the topic of exhaust, that black soot powder that collects on the tail section of the bike I presume is coming from the exhaust. Would turn down tips eliminate this ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose anything is possible tfdeputy ... but generally speaking ....

Naaaa .. not with slip ons ...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
While we are on the topic of exhaust, that black soot powder that collects on the tail section of the bike I presume is coming from the exhaust. Would turn down tips eliminate this ?
Will still "exist", you just won't see it

I suppose anything is possible tfdeputy ... but generally speaking ....

Naaaa .. not with slip ons ...
We may all have opinions however, I must tell you I have been through all this w/various vehicles and various manufacturers.
The letter of the law remains, any accessory added or modification made that may affect the operation or performance that is not approved by the manufacturer and is not installed by a tech @ an authorized dealership may void a portion of the vehicles warranty.
A prime example is indeed exhaust modifications which changes the designed flow of exhaust gases that may allow the engine to run to lean resulting in damage to the motor. Likely w/what the OP has done. Probably not. But, should he be the unlucky one it will depend on the repairing dealer and whether the factory rep comes visiting to review the bike.
With the increasing popularity of trike conversions, manufacturers are checking major failures much more closely for "things" the might allow a warranty claim to be denied.
Not saying it's a 100% done deal, one would have a problem but, it is becoming a greater possibility as time goes by.
Each of us must do as we feel we should do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still Naaaa ... not with slip ons.

Theres a act that I always forget the name of .. you probably know it .. I want to say Mckesson .. but thats not it.. thats the health care people.

At any rate, the manufacturer has to PROVE the mod caused an issue.

If we use "any" literally, a cup holder - passenger arm rests - highway pegs.... all would void the contract unless a honda product and installed by a dealer, right ? The bike didnt come with those items and everyone does that work themselves right ? How bout lighting mods ?

In extreme, The manufacturer is talking about someone cracking open the block and doing for instance a stage 3 on the engine .. the engine blows up in warranty and the owner expects honda to be liable.

Its simply a muffler, no other bike warranty (Hondas, Yammys, Harleys included) have had warranties voided nor has any of my trucks. Nope. ... suppose we will have to agree to disagree my friend.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Still Naaaa ... not with slip ons.

Theres a act that I always forget the name of .. you probably know it .. I want to say Mckesson .. but thats not it.. thats the health care people.

At any rate, the manufacturer has to PROVE the mod caused an issue.

If we use "any" literally, a cup holder - passenger arm rests - highway pegs.... all would void the contract unless a honda product and installed by a dealer, right ? The bike didnt come with those items and everyone does that work themselves right ? How bout lighting mods ?

In extreme, The manufacturer is talking about someone cracking open the block and doing for instance a stage 3 on the engine .. the engine blows up in warranty and the owner expects honda to be liable.

Its simply a muffler, no other bike warranty (Hondas, Yammys, Harleys included) have had warranties voided nor has any of my trucks. Nope. ... suppose we will have to agree to disagree my friend.
Wish I had addressed this issue also. What you are thinking of is the
MM act (Magnasum-Moss Act). This is one of the most misunderstood and misquoted acts that has ever existed to my knowledge.
If one reads the entire document and understands it's intent, you will find the situations I am discussing has absolutely nothing to do w/this act.
It will not be up to the dealer to prove the failure was caused by whatever is blamed, it will be up to you to prove it didn't.
While you may not know of any warranty claims denied(I never said voided warranties, as that is not the case)just for muffler change, I do and it happened to be on a Harley, not a Wing.
Any way, this discussion always turns into a back and forth "no way", "yes it will", "no it won't" so, I will end my posts here on this subject with this- the key word is MAY most likely, if this comes up, it does not void the entire warranty. It will only mean a particular claim may be denied.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want thump buy a HD if you want ride and power buy a Wing ! I got over aftermarket exhaust many years ago ....big money little gain . JMHO

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like the sound of the Cobras. Mellow and deep but not loud. As far as turn downs are concerned, black soot still collects along the edges and is more noticeable than stock because of its angle.

Don't worry about warrantee and your slip ons, you will be fine. I never heard of a Honda turning down a claim because of Cobra's

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I mentioned in a few of my other posts. I like to find 3 corroborative and RELIABLE sources .. so just take this one as a casual read for now.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm Particularly the first few paragraphs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This will close the book on this subject for me.

Cant get any more offical than this http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Sum, you and TF are both right in several ways. You have more to fear from the law on pipes than any problems to the bike itself though. Up here, Honda is still relying on photgraphic evidence rather than actual warranty appraisers (so far), but other OEMs are getting stickier every day.
I've got pipes on my Wing and from several tries with my i-phone couldn't get a clip that would pick up on the deeper note of the bike now; the rest of the noise from the alternator and other gear noises (higher frequency) washed out the sound. Never tried the video camera, but the garage isn't exactly a music room accoustically. I hope you have better luck sum. Actually tried sparking up the RC with the Yosh's on it to compare and had similar noise results. More on the sound of the pipes but still washed out. I've had the RC checked and it's still 2Db below the bylaws so it's perfectly legal and I love the sound of it. But then that's a sport bike and that's my opinion too, but no complaints from anyone. The cop that I had test my bike even asked me why I was concerned, it wasn't loud enough that he'd have pulled me over to check (he says). Any of us that meet up this summer can see for themselves what my Torq's sound like from the driver's and/or passengers seat if they want to take it for a spin or while we're on the road out as a group ride. For what it's worth, Mrs J still doesn't know they're not stock exhaust;)

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Sorry chopin, I got sidetracked. There's one big drawback to that lilly-white colour of yours, it's called grime:D Our bikes run clean, but when it comes to internal combustion & exhaust, there are still contaminants and their issues. I had turn downs on my 1200 and they always showed some residue after a ride; worse in real hot weather and high humidity though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts