Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spoke with a 'knowledgeable' sales rep at a local Honda dealer, who said "they strongly advise against using synthetic oil in a Wing as it will cause clutch slipping problems". I suppose the "they" is mother Honda. I replied I have been using it for years with no issues.
Has anyone else heard this? I know several members use synthetic and don't recall reading about any issues.
Thanks,
Strat

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
The only issues I've heard of is if it has the ( Friction Fighters ) in it, that will cause the wet clutch to slip.
I've never tried this but I heard from a friend of a friend that knew a guy that heard from another guy. That if you do use oil with the friction fighters in it and the clutch starts to slip. Drain the oil put in fresh oil minus one half pint. Add a half pint of Marvel Mystery oil and run till the clutch stops slipping. Drain and put fresh oil in again.
I have seen this work on a 1500 that the clutch was slipping. Don't know what cause the clutch to slip, but I do know it fixed.
Can't say it will work in ever instants but it could be worth a try.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Honda sells HP4M that contains moly. It is racing oil so I assume it's for track use only. Race bike engines are contantly torn down and clutches replaced so I think that's why they have it available. I always tell customers that it isn't inteded for street use because of the moly ingredient. Couldn't get a decent answer from any of my reps though. Better safe than sorry I think.
As to the synthetics causing slippage, that's bunk IMO. Been using synthetics since 1985 and never had a clutch problem ever. As long as it's m/c formulated it's fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've used synthetic in my 07 ST1300 and did notice some clutch slippage under aggressive use in cone patterns in the past. Many motor guys I know riding the STs in motor competitions stay away from the full synthetic as it has shown clutch slippage under heavy use. So if you don't ride hard in police cone patterns I don't see any concern using full synthetic.

My buddy who rides a BMW RT1200P (dry clutch) rides the heck out of his bike in competitions - here's Quinn Redeker of Ventura PD at his recent competition in San Diego. He's almost good as I am :D

and this is him riding a Kawasaki Concourse 1400 in Roseville earlier this year

and here is running an ST1300

and this is my other buddy Eddie Chan from San Jose PD riding an ST1300

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is Quinn on his first ride on a Concourse 1400 in competitions.
He was told no way can you fit that fat pig through the comp patterns. He proved a C14 can perform just fine :D
Many were blown away how he was able to take first place on it let alone fit it through the standard course dimensions :eek:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I recently spoke with a 'knowledgeable' sales rep at a local Honda dealer, who said "they strongly advise against using synthetic oil in a Wing as it will cause clutch slipping problems". I suppose the "they" is mother Honda. I replied I have been using it for years with no issues.
Has anyone else heard this? I know several members use synthetic and don't recall reading about any issues.
Thanks,
Strat
OK, I'll ask the real question here:
What's that sales rep knowledgeable about:confused: It sure isn't about synthetic oil:rolleyes:
Forgotten Synthetic fact:
When first introduced, it was touted as being able to run 25K miles, then change the oil filter, add a quart(remember when car/truck filters held a quart?)and run it another 25K. That quickly faded when "they" realized suggesting that kind of mileage wasn't making enough money!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used Honda's synthetic oil, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, and currently am running Shell Rotella T6 synthetic, which is a Diesel motor oil that is also JASO MA certified. I ride 2-up and tow a tent trailer all over the country and have had zero issues using any of the synthetics. As long as it says MA on the label, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

P.S. I also use the Rotella in my Mercruiser, so now I only need to have one oil in the house for the Wing, boat, and Duramax.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
OK, I'll ask the real question here:
What's that sales rep knowledgeable about:confused: It sure isn't about synthetic oil:rolleyes:
Forgotten Synthetic fact:
When first introduced, it was touted as being able to run 25K miles, then change the oil filter, add a quart(remember when car/truck filters held a quart?)and run it another 25K. That quickly faded when "they" realized suggesting that kind of mileage wasn't making enough money!:D
Your facts are a little off... Actually, AMSOIL was the first (1972) oil to promote a 25,000 mile drain interval as long as you use the AMSOIL filter. That was the life of the oil, you didn't change the filter and go further without oil analysis.

Mobil 1 attempted to advertise the same thing (about 1983) almost copying the AMSOIL can word for word with the 25,000 drain interval. Mobil 1 was not able to go the distance and almost destroyed the synthetic market.

AMSOIL continues to have 25,000 mile oils available for most gasoline "automotive" applications. In M/C's, the AMSOIL drain interval is 2x OEM up to one year using the AMSOIL filter.

As for clutch slippage..... HOGWASH.... As Long As you use a Motorcycle Specific oil!

If for some reason you wish to use an auto/diesel oil, it must have the following specs. API SG or SG/SH. SH or higher should not be used unless the oil carries a JASO MA or better yet MA 2 Rating.

Just to keep the record sraight, Rotella has a self-imposed JASO MA Rating but is not "Certified". It has not been tested but, by law, can use the JASO Rating as their additive suppliers carry that rating.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have 12,000 miles on my Mobil 1 Racing 4T, and I am considering Shell Rotella T6 synthetic or the $13 Walmart Delo 400LE special. humm......
CAUTION:.... Be sure the Delo has an API SG OR SG/SH Rating or has the JASO MA

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
CAUTION:.... Be sure the Delo has an API SG OR SG/SH Rating or has the JASO MA

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
Last year, I had all of my fluids changed to Amsoil by a motorcycle shop. I believe in the product.... as I believe in Amway soap. I don't buy Amway soap cuz of their marketing methods.

Why doesn't Amsoil not sell their products through conventional retail markets? I have a hard time with "This is the best stuff, here let me sell it to you," approach from others who use it. I have always had "contempt prior to investigation" when it comes to someone endorsing a product at the same time pushing to sell it to me at what I think is a high price.

I am not being critical. I am just asking.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Last year, I had all of my fluids changed to Amsoil by a motorcycle shop. I believe in the product.... as I believe in Amway soap. I don't buy Amway soap cuz of their marketing methods.

Why doesn't Amsoil not sell their products through conventional retail markets? I have a hard time with "This is the best stuff, here let me sell it to you," approach from others who use it. I have always had "contempt prior to investigation" when it comes to someone endorsing a product at the same time pushing to sell it to me at what I think is a high price.

I am not being critical. I am just asking.
AMSOIL does sell through Retail locations. I have several throughout the country and would be happy to set up any you know to buy Factory Direct.

Not sure why you would want to go through a retailer when you can buy direct from me and, have it dropped on your door but, that is up to you.

I don't say the things I do about AMSOIL to sell it. I sell AMSOIL because I can say the things I do and have Since 1984.

If I find a better product and a better company, I'll sell it.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
You answered the question very well.

I have not seen it on the retail shelf. Perhaps I am not looking very hard... or the auto retail shops that I frequent just don't sell it. I do drive a newer Ford Ranger and a Goldwing, so I don't have to go into those very often. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks Larry,

Some reasons it can be a little hard to find is that many know AMSOIL is a Direct Sales Company meaning anyone can buy from them. They don't understand and are usually unwilling to listen and accept how they can sell AMSOIL.

Other places want to buy through their warehouses for distribution and that is against current AMSOIL policy. They can still purchase it, just not through central distribution.

Wal-Mart approached AMSOIL a few years ago. AMSOILS response... We will set you up with a Dealer in your area.... WM.. We are Wal-mart, we buy direct. AMS... Congratulations, we are AMSOIL and we don't sell direct... the initial order was estimated at over $40 Million.

Dealers built AMSOIL and they have taken the stance that it will remain a dealer based company. ALL sales go though a dealer. That goes for the state of Texas and Volvo Marine.

Some people believe that by going to the corporate site, they are buying direct. They are not.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
741 Posts
I run the 'worst' synthetic in every car, quad, off road vehicle, dirt bike, motorcycle, track bike, performance turbo 4 cylinder (430 all wheel drive hp to the wheels)...Mobil 1 synthetic from Costco, the one with energy conserving additives. I've run Baja on dirt bikes and off road trucks and Jeeps. I am not easy on any of my vehicles. I have never had an oil related issue. My secret - pick a decent oil and do regular changes.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I go 16,000 on the Wing, 8000 on the Yamaha, 10,000 on the Harley, 25,000 on my gas truck and I am at 20,000 on my diesel that calls for 7500 change under non severe service...3500 for severe.

Those are regular intervals, right ? And towing a 30' loaded enclosed trailer for most of those diesel miles is not severe service, right ? LOL

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Synthetic Oil

I bought my wing new last year, and after a 6000 mi break in with conventional oil, I'm ready for the switch to synthetic oil. There were two previous oil changes at 500, and 2200 mi. Until recently, synthetic oils were made for auto engines, and not for bikes because of wet clutches. Now, synthetics are also made for bikes with additives for wet clutches. So with this oil change, I'll make the switch. As for filters, I use either Wix or NAPA Gold oil filters.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts