Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought my GL1200 in January, rode her home and it snowed. The snow melted and rode her to work, the clutch slipped, would not go into any gear and she left me in town. The next morning I went to get her and the clutch problem was gone. How curious. By the time I was turning the last corner to get home my RPM were through the roof while my MPH was dropping off fast. I got her into the garage and that's where she is now. The Honda mechanic says bleed the slave cylinder change the hydro fluids and change the oil. That sounds reasonable since the bike only moved 1,100 miles in the last 11 years and only has 70,700 miles on here now.
Has anyone got other suggestions that do not involve removing the engine from the bike? Thanks in advance from a GW newbie.
Bill

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would agree with your mechanic and change the clutch fluid. I did mine about a month ago and it's not difficult at all (especially if you use Speed Bleeders). Mine had quite a bit of rust in the fluid, but I flushed it a couple of times and it's clear now.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
For the slipping clutch. A Wing wrench up in British Columbia , Canada. Used to recommend draining or drawing off about a pint of oil then replacing it with a like amount of Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for a few hundred miles. Then change the oil and filter.
Marvel is a good internal cleaner. For sure bleed and flush the system. If the lever feels soft put about a 3/4 inch spacer between the lever and the grip and tie the levr in place over night a lots of time it will self bleed like that.
But if you can't ride it, If it will help or not. Maybe just running it and letting it soak with the Marvel in it well clean it up some.
Just an idea.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
One other source had suggested mystery oil and the riding it awhile trick. If flushing and the oil treatment doesn't work, I'll "trailer" her to the mechanice. I had trailers!
Bill

·
Registered
904 Posts
clutch slippage

Make sure the release hole ( very small hole inside resovoir) is clean. Will allow clutch to build pressure and not release, next morning will work fine untill pressure builds again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi, i got my 86 wing with 27,000 miles on her. i bought the rebuild kit for the slave cylinder and master cylinder. glad i did so,the slave cylinder had a bunch of rust and nasty old fluid. i am glad i did them both, about 40.00 to get the two kits on e-bay. hopr this helps and safe riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I am a new owner of a 1989 gl1500 and the clutch started slipping as I was driving (the rpm's would rev up but no go after a few seconds would start increasing mph then pulled over then had plenty of feel in clutch lever but when put in gear and accelerate nothing any ideas??

·
Registered
364 Posts

I have a question what type of oil are you using,remember your clutch is setting in oil.If you are using a friction fighting oil it can cause your clutch to also slip. Do everything that was suggested in the posts and check the oil type. Good luck Hal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have no idea what the previous owner ran for oil but I had planned on changing all of the fluids in the next couple of days I hope that is the trick because I cannot see how a GW would burn up a clutch in 30500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changed out the oil and filter, flushed it with a mix of 10w40 GTX and Marvel Mystery Oil, and ran it up to temp then dumped the oil and refilled with 10w40 GTX. Still nothing, then flushed out the hydralic fluid at the slave and refilled with fresh dot4 now all is good. I will ride local for a while then change everything out again. Thanks for the help..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts