Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started my 95 SE today after a 60 day period between rides. Backed it out of garage, pulled clutch lever in to put in 1st so i cud move it to the shade to wash. No pressure on clutch. Took clutch fluid reservoir cover off, no Dot 4 in cyl. Filled, opened slave cyl at engine to bleed. Fluid wud come thru but with no force when the bleeder was opened. Still no clutch action and no "feel" on clutch lever. It feels as if the lever is not pump the fluid.Any ideas? 95 SE 89k
Dave in NC

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
if you are using the lever to pump up the clutch it can take some time to get all the air out the system

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Not a 'wrench' but I'd say keep pumping the lever and see if the pressure comes back. Then maybe leave it squeezed with a tie wrap over night and see what happens. Just be careful with the fluid, that stuff's corrosive as heck:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clutch issues

I've pumped and bled, pumped and bled, pumped and bled. Still no "feel" on the lever or operation of the clutch. I'll try the tie wrap thing overnight. I wonder about the cylinder at the clutch. I just am stumped.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,606 Posts
Has the oil level in the engine risen when you noticed the reservoir was empty?
If so, rebuild the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
674 Posts
it sounds like your overdue for some maintenance.
rebuild or replace both the clutch master and slave cylinder and flush the line out good while bleeding. If you opt for the cheep solution and attempt a rebuild .
Inspect the cylinders for pitting,if none found pop a seal kit it them,and get back on the road.
A rebuild kit may not be available if not replace them. It's worth the piece of mind.
Good luck let us know what you do to resolve it. post photos if possible,

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Has the oil level in the engine risen when you noticed the reservoir was empty?
If so, rebuild the slave cylinder.
If so.....Change the oil as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ASAP!!!!!
Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it working at 4:00 pm today. Went to AZone to get some Dot 4. Got home and found that it had ben opened before and the seal was loose. Had to go back and swap. I found out that one is not supposed to open the bleeder at the slave cylinder for my problem. 1.Pull rubber sleeve away from banjo bolt at master cyl. 2.Make sure that all the old dot4 is removed and the bowl is clean, clean. 3.Fill bowl and pump clutch lever 15-20 times and hold in on the last pump. 4. open banjo bolt and let air/fluid escape 5. Repeat steps in 4 until you get a good feeling lever. The Honda mechanic said to wrap something around the clutch lever (tape, tie wrap, etc) to hold the lever in overnight as insurancce that all the air is gone.

It took me 7 cycles until I got the feel that I wanted. I cranked it and moved it around in the back drive. All is well. Thanks for the good advice to all who answered.
One more thing. Sometimes I do not get a green "neutral light" and it won't even turn over. So I have to be sure that I have a green light before I turn it off. Any ideas?
Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good news that you were able to get your clutch working. I think you should know, the brake fluid in your clutch master cylinder does not just evaporate. If you lost your fluid this means you have a leak or worn clutch parts. If it is not visible it must be leaking inside the case. Or your clutch disk have worn out to the point that the fluid was no longer enough volume to keep the clutch master cylinder from getting air into the system, based on the other problems you are now mentioning it seems that you should pull the clutch and inspect for worn parts. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody have an idea about the neutral light not coming on at times. For some reason I thought it had something to do with the kickstand, so I removed the switch at the ks and figured that it was not a source of the problem. And OK on the brake fluid not evaping. I am going to keep a close check on the master cyl level. I never had a problem with the clutch fluid when I used to ride several hundred miles a weekend. But that was more than 5 years ago when I rode that much. Lately it's been like 1k in a year if that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Try this test out side with plenty of room in front of the bike, while the bike is still cold put the bike in 2nd gear pull the clutch in and start the bike. Does it inch forward slightly? If not ride the bike until warmed up good.
Then retest. If it test out good. Get back to us so we can help further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts