Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many, many moons ago I had a stick shift car. When the clutch bearing went (don’t know technical name) I was told by a mechanic that the bearing is not meant to run for a long time therefore I always should put the car in neutral at light. I learned to do the same to the wing even for a sort stop. Time has changed, is that still necessary?

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Never....ever.... put the Wing in nuetral at a light! Keep it in gear...just in case someone behind you or beside you wants to take you out! Another words always be READY to get out of the way!

JMHO.....

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
I always sit at lights and stops with the clutch engaged and the bike in 1st gear. Like Mark said, expect the unexpected...

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
I was not trying to be belittling, but I do not believe it would be detrimental to your clutch at all.

Again, I apologize if you thought I was being harsh!

Mark

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
1. It is called, throw out bearing.
2. The mechanic that told you that does not know what he was talking about!
3. Reasons for NOT sitting in neutral already posted above

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
No throw out bearing in a 1500.

The muffler bearing is a very inexpensive item, but the cost to align it is astronomical! :eek:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe the goldwing has a clutch release plate that flexes. Bearing or plate the difference is it is a wet clutch. That means everything is in the oil. In a car the bearing is a sealed greased bearing that eventualy gets dry and wares.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
No recommendation as to either way, but just an experienced observation. Depends on weather/traffic and escape route/moment in time...whatever. I have used the transmission in neutral in very high temps (the clutch generates heat when pulled in at a stop), but you need to guage what your outs are. If there is no apparent threat then it's 'usually' ok to drop the trans into neutral to keep heat at a minimum. I'm talking +100 amb temps here and stop and go traffic with NO threat of a rear end run up. And it depends on the interval of the stop light. There again you need to scope out the feel of the traffic around you and if there is any hint of cagers being "light nervous" or jumpy, keep the bike in gear and leave yourself an avenue of escape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts