Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here and if this has been asked and answered please forgive my stupidity.

Have a 94 Goldwing SE 1500. Everything was fine when I put the bike up for the winter. Just started it tonight, thought about taking advantage of the nice weather here in Illinois. When I pull the clutch back, little to no resistance, put bike in gear, killed it deader than a hammer. Fluid level is fine but the clutch seems non existant. Any thoughts or possible fixes?

Thanks much for anyones help and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
hello tagne, welcome to GWOF. you can start by bleeding the clutch until there is all fresh fluid in the system

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
If you don't have the equipment to bleed the clutch try this.
Put a small block of wood or a stack of card board about 3/4"x 3/4" maybe 2" or 3" long
Put it between the clutch lever and the hand grip pull the lever into the block and tie it in place and leave it sit over night. It's a self bleed that works if there is air in the line.
Might give it a try. It can hurt to try it.

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Unless something went drastically wrong, bleeding should take care of it. Or you could always sell it to me cheap! :D

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Welcome tagney. The guys have already mentioned what I would have. I'm guessing that you didn't have any fluid replacement done prior to putting the bike away last season?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another new guy here. I am having the same issue with my 96 GL1500. Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the answers.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
hello chefdoccj, welcome to GWOF. both you guys should look at the color of the fluid in the clutch reservour the darker it is the older it is. its brake fluid and should be clear like you just poored it out the bottle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advise. I tried the poor mans method of bleeding the system, no luck. To answer one of the questions, no I did not change the fluid when I put the bike up for the winter. With that said, I can put the bike on the center stand and shift it in to gear without even touching the clutch. The wheel will spin and I can go through the gears without ever touching the clutch. I'm at a loss, if the clutch isn't working I would have thought I couldn't go through the gears???? Any ideas. And if I still need to try to bleed the system and start all over, can anyone offer a how to on that as well? Thanks again everyone for your help. Trying to save some bucks and hating these nice warm Illinois days right now driving around in the truck.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
The clutch slave cylinder may not be operating properly after the bleed process.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Unless something went drastically wrong, bleeding should take care of it. Or you could always sell it to me cheap! :D
Always looking for a bargin.... or a steal... LOL:D

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
ChefDocCJ, Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
tagney, Welcome from Pa to the forum. Nice folks on here and helpful too..

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
I'm wonder if junk has collected inside the clutch slave cylinder located on the clutch cover? Debris inside would cause it to malfunction, water collected in it.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
ChefDocCJ welcome as well. As both problems seem similar I'd get a mighty vac (or borrow one if you have a buddy that has one) and flush out the clutch fluid and then refill and bleed it properly. I'll do some digging and get back to you via PM as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid collects moisture and that tends to go to the lowest point in the system.
I agree with Budoka.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Keep us posted on the results guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
budoka:

Thanks so much for the emails, I am on my way to the garage to start this project, see you in the morning......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts