Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we bought a 1995 goldwing trike. It seems like the clutch is going out. Does anyone know what it would cost to replace the clutch. Would it be hard to do ourself?
Thanks,
Angelmammaw

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Welcome to the site Angel, sorry your first post is a sore spot. I'll do some digging in the manuals and see what a replacement clutch (Honda) might cost, and check with my guys at what they say the labour will amount to. Anyone with sufficient talent with the proper tools and a good service manual should be able to do the job, but I stress the talent and tools aspect.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

Sorry about the adversity. There will be some folks coming along that can answer your question. I am mechanically challenged.

We enjoy ride reports speckled with crisp clear pictures. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Why do you thing the clutch is going out??

I would first do a complete rebuild of the slave and a full fluid flush out. It might be just needs new fresh fluids.

If you have a manual it tells you how to do this and you can do it in one day or afternoon depending on how fast you are.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
First; I echo Bamaeagle here, why do you think the clutch is going out. All the 1500's I've been around, I've never seen the actual clutch fail, seen a couple that need the fluid drained and the system flushed, seen a couple that got air in the system and heard of a couple where the slave cylinder went bad.
And one where the clutch was slipping. They drained off a 1/2 point of oil and put in the same amount of Marvel Mystery Oil, it cleaned up the disks and the slip went away.
So the question what is it doing or not doing.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
I have to agree with the two posters above. Flush, refill and bleed the system.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we got the trike not quite 2 months ago with 52000 miles on it. The last couple weeks my husband thought the clutch was slipping. He talked to a mechanic who test drove it and said yes, it couldn't be adjusted, it needed to be fixed but he could drive it for now. He brought it home and checked the fluid-there wasn't any in the resovoir so he filled that. We also noticed the gas bubbling after riding the last two days. He asked a mechanic about that and they said it could be the line on the cap plugged. We haven't had a bike since we were kids and have worked hard for all these years to accomplish this dream. It is frustrating because we didn't think it should go out either. I will tell my husband about ya'll's suggestions. Thanks to everyone. I am new on this forum but ya'll have made me feel welcome. Does anyone know about any riding clubs in and around Fort worth/Decatur texas? God bless, Angelmammaw

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also wanted to say we don't have a manual for the trike. Does anyone know about maintenance schedules on this. someone asked my husband about the timing belt?should it be checked or changed? Any help would be gratefully appreciated on our trike. My husband has always taken good care of our cars and wants to do the same on the trike. G

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
Check the return hole in the clutch master cylinder. It is located under the metal splash shield. If it is plugged, it will cause the clutch to slip or totally quit working.

If you don't know the maintenance history on the bike, change the timing belts. They aren't very expensive, but can ruin the engine if one breaks.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I also wanted to say we don't have a manual for the trike. Does anyone know about maintenance schedules on this. someone asked my husband about the timing belt?should it be checked or changed? Any help would be gratefully appreciated on our trike. My husband has always taken good care of our cars and wants to do the same on the trike. G
Did you get any maintenance records from the previous owner? The reason that I ask is that I just bought a 1995 SE with 30,000 miles on it but got no maintenance records so I took it to the Honda shop and had all fluids changed including clutch fluid, brake fluid, coolant, engine oil, rear end oil, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, brakes, carbs rebuilt, timing belts replaced etc. $3,000.00 later that bike runs great but it really helps a lot if you know what has been done to it and what has not.......I found out the hard way but still love the Wing.

FYI- previous owner said that it needed nothing when I bought it, turns out WRONG!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately we didn't get any maintenance records on our trike either. The shop we bought it from said they had checked it out and changed all the fluids but I have a feeling that was not totally correct. We are trying to find a manual for it. My husband can do some things if he has a manual although he won't try to fix everything if he does not feel confident about it. We don't know if the timing belt is something he can do without having a manual to look at.

Does anyone have any diagrams on the slave cylinder, where the line goes in order to bleed it or about the timing belt?

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
Angelmammaw, here is a link to look at.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500timingbelts.htm

It will help on the timing belts. :)

The bleeder for the clutch is located on the rear of the engine. It is accessed by removing both of the left side covers. There should be a rubber cap covering it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can purchase a Honda Service manual from Helm,Inc.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=helm
I have a used Clymer manual if you need something in a hurry.
Hi Trike Lady, Is there any difference in the two manuals? We aren't in a huge hurry, just wanting to get something to give us some knowledge and ideas to help maintain the trike. We also want to, hopefully, not get a dealership or mechanic that tells us we need something major done when it really only needs something minor-like replacing clutch instead of bleeding the line etc. Thanks so much for your responses. God bless

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
Hi Trike Lady, Is there any difference in the two manuals? We aren't in a huge hurry, just wanting to get something to give us some knowledge and ideas to help maintain the trike. We also want to, hopefully, not get a dealership or mechanic that tells us we need something major done when it really only needs something minor-like replacing clutch instead of bleeding the line etc. Thanks so much for your responses. God bless
Hello,
The Honda manual is produced by Honda and is the same one used by dealers. Clymer is a good manual and good in a pinch.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does anyone around the fort worth area know of an honest mechanic or someone that works on trikes we could contact? We agree that we want to try and bleed the lines etc. first but would like to touch base with someone for advice. Trike lady we ordered the manual, thank you for the help on that.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
does anyone around the fort worth area know of an honest mechanic or someone that works on trikes we could contact? We agree that we want to try and bleed the lines etc. first but would like to touch base with someone for advice. Trike lady we ordered the manual, thank you for the help on that.
Yes I can direct you to a trike shop too that is in your area.
Lonestar Trike Conversions - Texas (Brian McManus)
www.lonestartrikes.com [email protected]
1717 North Fork Rd. Fort Worth, TX. 76179 (313) 418-9490
To do a proper bleed, you'd want to flush any old fluid from the system but don't let air in. If you remove the left side engine cover and shine a light into the darkness you'll see a bleeder with a black cap on it. Just like brakes its the pump and hold to remove the air.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Log on to gwrra.org and they have plenty of information on that site about chapters in your area. GWRRA is now offering a free trail membership for 3 months to see if it is something that you would want to be part of. Also a service manual will not cover everyhing on your trike as each trike is build of non-Honda parts as far as driveshaft and rear axle and rear bodywork. Do you know who's trike kit was installed to convert your bike to a trike?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Trike Lady. We will contact Brian. My husband did clean and flush out the old sludgey fluid but he says the clutch still seems to be slipping. It is just frustrating since it seems that every time we buy something we end up paying to fix stuff. My husband says he hears a sound he thinks is a u joint but the shop we bought it from says that's just the way it is suppose to sound. Right. I will update you as we go along. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts