Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major debate going on with the other half, and its all about what to wear on the bike, now the question we are having is this, does a denim jacket and leather waistcoat suit riders on Goldwings I say yes it does, she say no way, it just makes you look like an extra out of Sons of Anarchy, so what do you guys wear ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Major debate going on with the other half, and its all about what to wear on the bike, now the question we are having is this, does a denim jacket and leather waistcoat suit riders on Goldwings I say yes it does, she say no way, it just makes you look like an extra out of Sons of Anarchy, so what do you guys wear ?
Very simple answer to this one. Wear WHATEVER is comfortable and screw what anyone else thinks of you. If you want to dress up like a pirate, do it and enjoy the ride. Same goes for anything.
Me my self, I may wear my leathers, I may dress like a pirate, I may wear my work cloths, I may dress like I normally do. It doesn't matter to me, if I spent time worrying about what others thought of me, I would never leave the house much less own a bike.

Here is how to handle the wife, Bust thru the bedroom door donned in full leathers and bandana! Manhandle her to the bed in a seductive manner being forceful but not cross the line if she insist NO........lol.
Spend a good hour in there doing whatever it is you do, then get up toss her leathers and jeans to her and in a stern voice tell her to get dressed and lets go RIDE!!
You can ad lib some of that if you wish, I know I do but I can't say it all here!
Then again, I have a great wife and she likes that sort of thing.............LOL

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
what i wear when riding depends on the weather. right now its about 40f outside and if i were going riding ( its also raining ) i would wear my new tourmaster saber jacket and synergy jacket liner, quest overpants, fleece lined jeans. on a 70f day i would wear my joe rocket balistic or 4.0 jacket maybe the cortech cpx pants

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only wear what you wold put on if you knew your where going to crash!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thinking of buying one of the new style armored mesh jackets that are supposed to be good in hot weather--but I don't see how they could be confortable on a day when a t-shirt seems too much. The armor provides a measure of safety, but is it going to be just too hot to stand? Now I use a good vented leather coat that is comfortable up to about 70f, then its just my shirt. Is there a better way??

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Mesh with armor is good. I have both winter and summer mesh. I use electric heated vest when cold. When appropriate, I wear leather pants or armor mesh pants. Never ride in shorts, unless I am just going to the store and back. Never flip flops or sandals.

To be honest, I am judgmental and snicker at the pirate uniform...... how stupid are those chaps huh?

Boots that cover the ankle is suggested.

When I take my helmet off, I put on my "Route 66" baseball cap on. What are those do-rags about?

·
Registered
219 Posts
When i sold my harley we kept our harley riding gear and jackets and still use them when i'm riding my Goldwing. At my age i dont care what i wear as long as it hides the important things?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thinking of buying one of the new style armored mesh jackets that are supposed to be good in hot weather--but I don't see how they could be confortable on a day when a t-shirt seems too much. The armor provides a measure of safety, but is it going to be just too hot to stand? Now I use a good vented leather coat that is comfortable up to about 70f, then its just my shirt. Is there a better way??
Armored mesh is great while you're moving. It will be hot when you're stopped, but I'm hot when I'm stopped anyway. When it gets real bad I'll soak down my t-shirt and wear it under the mesh - will keep me cool for about 1/2 hour, until it dries

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only wear what you wold put on if you knew your where going to crash!!!
Oh, OK, I guess you would want to wear clean underwear then!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wear what I have on. Pictured here are two riders sharing the same road on the same day at the same moment. I'm not the one riding the Goldwing.
I'm with the guy riding the Harley!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Actually, I never realized there was a code to wing wear. Wear what you, let the wife do her thing. This arrangement has worked for me more years than I care to remember. You'll find life much more pleasant in the long run. :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
To be honest, I am judgmental and snicker at the pirate uniform...... how stupid are those chaps huh?

When I take my helmet off, I put on my "Route 66" baseball cap on. What are those do-rags about?
I'll address the chaps first. Speaking from a Man who lives in an area that will often see 30 degree temp changes from morning to noon. And the fact that our winter weather is often not cold enough for anything more than jeans. That all changes when you ride in this weather. Chaps are an awesome way to keep the biting cold off your lower extremities and easily removed when you get where you are going.
That is the REAL reason for chaps and I own 2 pair of them.
I find it funny that people in this day and age will make a preconceived opinion about a man because of what he dresses like. I'll admit that some of what I wear, especially in the winter, looks just like what you "Just don't get". But so what, are these people offending you in some way? Maybe they get the same impression of an old fart on a goldwing dressed up in protective gear that should keep him safe in a 15,000 foot free-fall from an airplane with no parachute!

And even if these guys dress like "Pirates" just because they think it makes them "Look Cool", so what? I mean people don football jerseys war paint, ect to go to football games, ect. Does that mean they are stupid too?
If people spent more time enjoying riding then looking around and pointing fingers at people who don't dress and act like you, the motorcycling world would be a much nicer place.

Now on to the doo-rags. I wear em and I have quite a few of em. They do just what the name implies.
They allow me to stop for a break and remove my helmet without digging for a cap, ect, to cover my sweaty head. Or in some people case, it also serves to keep and ugly balding head cover without digging for a cap.

While you are in the trunk looking for your cap, I am already in line at the gas station paying for my drinks and fuel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mesh with armor is good. I have both winter and summer mesh. I use electric heated vest when cold. When appropriate, I wear leather pants or armor mesh pants. Never ride in shorts, unless I am just going to the store and back. Never flip flops or sandals.

Boots that cover the ankle is suggested.

Like someone else mentioned, I also still have my HD gear--they do sell some quality stuff, and it is so available. So I use some if it when need be, including a really nice Kelvar half helmet. At this point in my life (retired) I am no longer into cool. I find that safety and function will trump cool every time for my $$. So as for the do-rag, yep I do use one in hot weather, it goes on with the helmet, and comes off with the helmet, then the Wing cap goes on. I find that in hot weather the do-rag really keeps the inside of the helmet much cleaner. I take several do-rags on trips, and toss them in the washer when I get back. And when the weather is cold I wear the ole Harley chaps--nothing stops air like leather, not to mention the safety aspect.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I wear an Olympian multi-season mesh jacket with the thermalite insulated liner when it's cold, and without the liner on warm/hot days. If you're moving, enough air comes through the mesh to keep you cool. My helmet gives me more heat issues. In the dog days of summer down here in Texas, from mid June to early September, it's so damn hot during the day (often times 100 plus degrees in the shade) that I cut back on my riding.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I understand the use and purpose.

I just dress like a regular Pacific Northwest Guy. It is my preference for clothing.

When I need to keep my legs warm on a ride, I have some gaiters that attache with hook and loop. My vest is electric and goes under my mesh coat.

My stainless steel coffee cup fits nicely in my cup holders on all three of my bikes.

I use the bike for transportation and entertainment.... not a lifestyle. I don't have harness boots and I am friends with many that do. Its ok.

By the way, I think Harley Davidson has a great line of clothes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Going to-from work I'm in my uniform (BDU's) with the armored mesh jacket with my work boots. After work I wear jeans if I'm going more than 15 minutes away, shorts otherwise. I have some steel toed short boots that look more like tennis shoes than boots. I have found the mesh jacket just right for heat-cool so far. I do realize it has not yet begun to get HOT yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts