Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 97 GL1500se, we have had it since 2004...from day one we had this problem...no one seems to be able to suggest a cure....

Overnight..the clock unsets it's self...you reset it in the am and it works usually fine all day...you can stop for lunch and when you take off again..no problem.....but leave it overnight, and it's off time again...

What the heck is the problem...???
Thanks

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
It seems like the memory is not retaining the correct time over lets say a 12 to 18 hour period. There may not be any or a limited amount of parasitic draw, do the presets for the radio also change?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Wow, my son's 97 has the same problem. Everything else, presets, etc works 24/7 but that stupid clock has a mind of its own. I'd like to know if there is an answer to this bug-a-boo. :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
You might check fuse #13 in the fuse box. It is the fuse that supplies voltage all the time for the memory of Clock, C B, & Radio Cassette. Fuse #10 is the power supply with ignition on. This info is for a 1994. It may be the same as your 1997.Just my two cents. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
We have a 97 GL1500se, we have had it since 2004...from day one we had this problem...no one seems to be able to suggest a cure....

Overnight..the clock unsets it's self...you reset it in the am and it works usually fine all day...you can stop for lunch and when you take off again..no problem.....but leave it overnight, and it's off time again...

Thanks

[email protected]
Every 1500 (5) I've owned has displayed this problem. My 97se began the routine a few thousand miles ago then finally stopped all together. The time remains the same and I am unable to advance or retard the hours or minutes.
Simple cure, purchased myself a $9.95 Rolex, I mean Timex. Now everything is just fine.
Of course, I am retired and could care less what time it is. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 97 has a problem with the clock also. Sometimes it will work great for several days - then it's gone again. Seems to run really fast. I bought a waterproof large dial sports pocket watch from wal mart for $16 & velcroed it on the console. I would like the MC clock to work but for the money it would probably cost to fix it that is one of the few things I will let go. I've asked around a lot & no one seems to know what could be wrong. With so many 1500 clocks not working it seems like some one would have found the problem!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
This may sound wierd, but I've never heard of this, yet it seems like it's very common from the responses. Has anyone tried talking to the service dpet at your dealer? Maybe they could call the tech line and see what the Honda doctors have to say about it.

·
Banned
74 Posts

Thanks

[email protected]
I wonder.....could it be that the clock is so very voltage senstive that it might do that...? It would be interesting to put a volt meter on the battery BEFORE starting it in the morning and see what it says. Maybe it battery drops to like say 10.5 volts or something...and it trips the clock in some way. Other thing to try if this is in question is, once to park the bike for a day or two, but a battery charger on the battery just to keep it up in the 12 to 13.5 volt range. If the clock is alright after a day or two of sitting then...BINGO....you have your answer....!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took my 97se to the local Honda shop last year and talked to the head mechanic...he said, "I know what's wrong with it, but it could be kind of expensive to repair..get a watch.." So, we didn't go any further..I personally think, after listening to the majority, is that the connection behind the radio that go to the clock is corroded...and thus the slow demise of the function of the clock..corrosion acts like this when it builds up slowly on electrical connections..
I just am really unsure how to "exactly" get to this connection to plug and unplug it a few times to clean it some...looks like it is the 6 pin connector that has a "black" wire going to the LED clock display... but how to access it?? My manual doesn't really tell you...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried the battery charger thing....no difference...still the same problem...I am more sure of a corroded wire connection somewhere..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts