Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first Wing a 06 with 18,000 miles. Last Saturday went on a Gold Wing sponsored Toy Run. With around 750 bikes taking part, there was a 20 mile run at 20 to 30 mph, with also a few stops, first & second all the way. About half way I checked the temp guage and was surprised to see it up over 3/4 of the guage. So I using 3rd and fourth to help keep the rpm's down. That did help, and it did go down to the normal half way. When I got to our distination I asked another 1800 rider and he told me that the 1800 will do that some times, and I did the right thing to get the temperature back to normal. He also told me not to worry about it. Should I worry about it!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know that the 03 wings had a problem of overheating but I thought that problem was fixed so that later models did not overheat. I had an 05 and now a 2010 wing and neither of them have overheated even riding in the lower gears for extended periods. I would check th fluid level and if that is ok, check the thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
you should have been 3rd or fourth gear from the start, 1500 and 1800 wings have enough torque to pull from very low rpm's. i was up at the michigan game two weekends ago, leaving out with the crowd at the end of the game is never fun but using third and fourth gear the wing never came close to overheating

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
You were probably somewhere in "no man's land" as far as the cooling system goes. The GL1800 fan will not kick on above 20 MPH and you were probably not going fast enough to push air through the radiator. If you had slowed down the fans would have kicked on and cooled the engine or gone faster the air would have done the job. You should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rising Temp. Guage

Thanks guys for the feedback . I did not know that the fans would not come on over 20 mph, and I was riding at 20-30 mph with a few stops thrown in. This is my first Wing, and I'm still getting friendly with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only time the gauge went that high on me was in Death Valley in the middle of summer. Even though the gauge was pegged the bike never let me down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts