Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hi! I am a new owner of a 1994 Goldwing 1500 SE. I just purchased today, rode home, and was checking the brake fluid to see if it needed to be topped off...when I saw this curious clear tube near the rear master reservoir. It doesn't appear to be fluid related as it is (from the picture pretty clear). Does anyone perhaps know what this tube is for? I have checked the owners manuals online and videos for battery replacements, but didn't see this tube. location, when I look down it appears to feed near the passenger foot pedals. Please and thank you for the assist!

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Can you trace the tube back to it's origin? May be fuel/coolant/battery related..

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I pulled the panel to check and got more confusion:

I am wondering if this was a bleeder tube that got dropped in by mistake.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Does your battery have the vent tube connected?

Reactions: dsurley and NREMTP

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The guys are giving you the prime suspects to look at. An off-the-wall idea is that it may be a tube that was stored there for some reason, perhaps siphoning gas.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
looks like a vent tube for a battery

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the battery as awesome suggestions from you guys, it appears to be a maintenance free battery as it lacks the nipple near the caps. I checked both sides just to confirm. I took her out for another ride after I filled her tires up, gas was going well, she is holding a good charge. Still need to bleed the rear brake as it has tons of play, but checking the main line for the brake, appears to be a metal line. The previous owner had it sitting for two years, but replaced battery before I bought it. Will check the oil and coolant just to verify. Thank you all!

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it has been sitting that long, check the condition of the tires, and the date codes on them as well - and replace them if they are aged out (5 years or older some will say).

Flush all the brake fluid (as a closed system it should not need topping up), and the clutch fluid too.

Lastly, change out the coolant, oil, and final drive lube for good measure.

Full disclaimer: I'm assuming the 1500 SE is similar to the GL1800 which closely followed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it has been sitting that long, check the condition of the tires, and the date codes on them as well - and replace them if they are aged out (5 years or older some will say).

Flush all the brake fluid (as a closed system it should not need topping up), and the clutch fluid too.

Lastly, change out the coolant, oil, and final drive lube for good measure.

Full disclaimer: I'm assuming the 1500 SE is similar to the GL1800 which closely followed.
Alrighty, I ordered nearly everything but the tires. Will double check tire dates as well! Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been mentioned, "EXCEPT" you got yourself one good looking bike there........."love the color" Enjoy the :poop: out of it, and ride with pride! You have probably one of the best built bike ever made....W/O a doubt !!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
24 Posts
First off, hi! I am a new owner of a 1994 Goldwing 1500 SE. I just purchased today, rode home, and was checking the brake fluid to see if it needed to be topped off...when I saw this curious clear tube near the rear master reservoir. It doesn't appear to be fluid related as it is (from the picture pretty clear). Does anyone perhaps know what this tube is for? I have checked the owners manuals online and videos for battery replacements, but didn't see this tube. location, when I look down it appears to feed near the passenger foot pedals. Please and thank you for the assist!

View attachment 272443
Looks like the vent tube to the battery ...on the side of the battery , should be a plug in for the tube ...its a just in case the battery over spills ...it should drain under the whole bike .... my 86 gold wing has it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like the vent tube to the battery ...on the side of the battery , should be a plug in for the tube ...its a just in case the battery over spills ...it should drain under the whole bike .... my 86 gold wing has it
That is the tube to a standard battery ,,you having a maintaince free battery so not needed,,so it leave there to use on the next battery are most batteries come with new tubes so just throw it away you do not need it ,,i have a 93 gold wing//

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you have a Honda car dealer near you, you can gt a gallon of the anti-freeze for less than half of the Honda moto sports stuff. Same anti freeze, less money.

OMG! Thank you for this information............Great idea!!! Cause I do replace my anti-freeze fluid, sometimes twice a season!!

Ronnie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts