Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you clean your wing? Do you wash it with soap and water, dust it after every ride, dust it with a feather duster............ I have heard of guys using pledge to wipe their bike down. The reason I ask, is I ride my bike to work every day, as long as its not raining when I leave for work in the morning. I have always said, I dont mind getting wet on the way home from work, but not on the way to work. Anyways, we have a gravel parking lot at work, and I have to ride about 100 yards acrosse it to where I park. It is impossible to keep it clean.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
For a few more weeks, I will be living on a dirt road. So, keeping it clean has no chance. I wash with soap and water about once every couple months. I use pledge and armour-all once a week.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
we are surpose to wash these things :)

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
some wise man showed me a trick , i use pledge on body and windshield , it keeps it clean all the time

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
When it's dirty, water spots and dirt from wet roads., I wash it with liquid car soap and water.
When it is just dusty, I use a Swiffer Duster to keep the bike clean. I keep one in the trunk and a zip lock bag with extra dusters to replace dirty ones.
On road trips I dust it with the swiffer before putting the cover on.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
When it's dirty, water spots and dirt from wet roads., I wash it with liquid car soap and water.
When it is just dusty, I use a Swiffer Duster to keep the bike clean. I keep one in the trunk and a zip lock bag with extra dusters to replace dirty ones.
On road trips I dust it with the swiffer before putting the cover on.
Yea, and his bike looks like a piece of furniture. Like someone bought it and just keeps it in the garage and feather dusts it every day.

Would call him a liar about the 180K on it but I know him to be truthful. I was a little embarrassed showing up with my dirty bike with 46K on it. Of course I rode 100 miles in the rain to get there.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
I used to use hard wax but just the other day, I found a half a can of lemon scented pledge. So, what the hell, I snuck it out of the house and used it on my bike. It does dissolve the film of previous wax and leaves it bright and shiny. A week later, it was still shining. $4.10 for the big bottle at Wally World. I like the lemon scent.

I use Meguires Plastic polish on the windshield. Same as my shield. Great stuff. Wally World too.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
I carry the Pledge sheets which I use on windshield, mirrors and helmet/visor. One sheet cleans it all and. When traveling I can wash down the whole bike with 2 sheets. Otherwise Dawn dish soap and Ice spray on wax.

·
Registered
278 Posts
some wise man showed me a trick , i use pledge on body and windshield , it keeps it clean all the time
Same here. Lemon Pledge. I buy it at Costco - 3 big cans to the pack. Windshields, painted surfaces, plastics, chrome - works great! I never use soap and water (not that it's a bad thing to do); I use Pledge exclusively on my bikes - simple 2 step process --> spray and wipe.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Wash, carwash soap, hose, bucket (when I feel like it). Tried the Pledge thing didn't like it as much as Plexsus so I switched back.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
And another trick make sure you wipe up and down on windshield not side to side , side to side on windshield will scratch it

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
And another trick make sure you wipe up and down on windshield not side to side , side to side on windshield will scratch it
Did not know that Gordo. So plastic also has a grain pattern? Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I'm home, I spray the bike down with a hose just to get the gritty dust off. I blow dry with a leaf blower, then clean and shine with pledge.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I use Plexus on mine (expensive but works really well). Wash it whenever it looks dirty (I can usually tell be the chrome exhausts). Every so often I treat it to Armorall on the black plastic parts..

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I am looking into doing a course on how to clean my wing. By the sounds of it you will put me to shame. I will be ready by August. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
I am looking into doing a course on how to clean my wing. By the sounds of it you will put me to shame. I will be ready by August. Eric
If you ride through the panhandle of Texas (NW corner) look at all the car and trucks on the road. Probably some of the filthiest in the country because the wind always blows the dirt and sand. Rode thru there a few years ago near Amarillo and had sand filtering out of every crack up to a year later. We hit a sand storm headed to Colorado with winds gusting at 50mph. We had them babies leaned way over into the wind.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cleaning Material

Wash, carwash soap, hose, bucket (when I feel like it). Tried the Pledge thing didn't like it as much as Plexsus so I switched back.
I'm a Plexsus user too; however, after paying $20.00 for a small can in Ellijay, Ga I'm going to switch and try the Pledge. Big difference in price!! Thanks for the Pledge info, you've saved me future bucks, big time. Thanx's Again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When dirty, the Wiing gets a wash with Turtle Wax and Armorall. I have been using Plexsus but the price has gone viral. Also, for Florida Love Bugs, I use Bounce clothes dryer sheets, dampen and wipe the bugs away, rinse with water and it looks fine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts