Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be cleaning my bike for he first time in the next few days. Anyone have any suggestions or advise? Do I want to keep the water and soap away from the radio and other electoronics? Or are they closed up pretty well?

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
Soap and a sponge will not hurt the radio, but you don't want to spray a hard stream of water directly on it or the speakers or the dash. That has always been my rule of thumb..

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
There's the lid over the radio which is supposed to keep water out, but it may sneak in.
I use light spray from the garden hose on the dash area sprinkled above light a light rain, plenty of sudsy water and microfiber cloths to dry. I'll use a slightly heavier spray on the body panels and a lot of sudsy water. Then all the detailing begins, waxing and polishing.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
+1 on what two wheel and trike Lady said.....I also use Lemon Pledge on mine after a good wash.....it is also good to cary with you to clean the windshield of the bugs before you make a ride...

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
The cleaning is never over but I am also a big fan of the pledge. My much older reasoned Harley rider brother taught me this years ago. When you stop every night a quick wipe down before everything else. He said it not only keeps the bike clean but it keeps you in touch with your bike and gives you a chance to notice little things before they become a problem.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
After a certain period of time, you'll find that you have your own favorite way of cleaning your bike. I had a friend that used to take his fully dressed GL1000 to the car wash and lay it over on it's side and clean it with the wand:eek: Shoot, I used to use tooth brushes on my 1200's nooks and crannies before a show and shine:eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would and did read the owners manual it covers washing and it points out where to be careful spraying or soaking certain areas on the 2012. I have a Black Wing which scratches super easy. I tossed out over 50 fairly new microfiber cloths. When my wife cleaned these towels they picked up small bits of debris all most too small to see or feel. Unknowing I waxed my Wing with some of these damn things and scratched up my front faring . It is only 3 or 4 scratches and they are faint but to fix it would require painting or replacement.
It only took a few swipes before I noticed the damage. So now I only use new microfiber cloths or fabric diapers. They get used once and they get demoted to shop towels. Sometimes I use the disposable type. If you have a clean life style meaning no yard work or other types of activities or hobbies that could put a lot of debris in the washing machine do not reuse these type of rags other types of fabric that will not collect this type of debris so easily may be harsh on the paint due to the type of material. Wash your Wing in the direction of widest part of the panel and never use a circular motion. If you have to push hard to remove bugs and grime you need to let the cleaner of your choice soak in longer.
Most importantly if you wash your Wing with strong chemicals which I only use when needed rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more then wax the bike with something like Honda Pro shine and cleaner at minimum to put a protective coat on it for your next bug filled adventure. This may not be the best or easier method but it is what works for me. BTW if your wash sponge or mitt hits the floor it is done until you wash the sponge clean of any dirt. I am sure you know all of this but I figured I would try to help avoid another scratched wing.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Pledge is Allison use , keeps a great shine on the wing

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
You're supposed to wash them?!?!?

:eek:

·
Banned
15 Posts
+1 on the Pledge. Keeps everything shiny and makes short work of the bug guts on the windshield. I don't use it on the leather seats though.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
+1 on the Pledge. Keeps everything shiny and makes short work of the bug guts on the windshield. I don't use it on the leather seats though.
I used it on my seats one time , wow I was sliding everywhere

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't flood the electronics or dash with water. It' supposed to be waterproof, or at least resistant, but I think better to not invite trouble. Just my opinion.

I use a good car wash soap, and chamois dry. I use Zaino for wax. Phenominal on dark colors
www.zainostore.com

I use 303 for the black plastic and vinyl parts, seat dash, etc, and the handlebars. Far better than armor all
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/1/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm

To polish the rims, before I went chrome, One Grand Metal 300. Amazing stuff. Hjigh shine, least effort of anything I've tried, and I've tried them all.
http://www.onegrand.com/t-mp-m300.html

Hope this helps..

=Dave=

1 - 13 of 13 Posts