Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this gets lots of good replies. I am about to start restoring my 1975 Gl1000 Goldwing. I rode it for about 20 years then bought a 98 Aspencade. The 75 has setup for about 15 years. I have a mechanic who is going to get the engine started and then I will start tearing the bike down. I plan a complete restore.

Where can I find original literature on this bike? I know it came out in Teal Blue and Antares Red, but when I bought it in 1983 it was black. Was black an original color?

I have a manual and the bike was running when I parked it. I expect the engine to be good.

What advice can you give me on restoring this motorcycle?

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
According to what I found the 1975 only came in 2 colors.
GL1000
1975 GL1000 Standard
Candy Antares Red Special, R6CS
Candy Blue Green Special, PB2CS
The color code or maybe a place that didn't get painted may show the original color.
Go to the following site. Lots of good information.
Randakk's Cycle Shakk®

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Please do the restoration. In the words of Dennis Gage: "Honour the timeless classics; don't crush 'em, restore 'em!" Yeah, he's pretty much a car dood, but the statement speaks for itself. Nothing more "classic" than an original model year Goldwing!:cool::D Here ya go (for inspiration only ...)

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to what I found the 1975 only came in 2 colors.
GL1000
1975 GL1000 Standard
Candy Antares Red Special, R6CS
Candy Blue Green Special, PB2CS
The color code or maybe a place that didn't get painted may show the original color.
What I hope to see in original literature is how the detailing of the paint was done. Did it have decals or pinstripe accents?

While I was living in Texas I bought some logo and accent pieces from a dealer in Fort Worth. I didn't look at the detailing then.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My cousin bought a brand new Wing that I'm pretty sure was a 75 and it was yellow.Is that possible or was it newer?
Here's a pic of my 75(long gone).Not to much stock left on it.

Good luck with the restore

·
Registered
838 Posts
1100 Carburetors -

Hey winger98, There are several very successful GL1000 restoration projects that have been discussed on the Goldwing sites. A couple had been sitting up for many years. One common thread included during each writeup was when they came to rebuilding the carburetors. It is often recommended that you update to the 1100 carb assembly. There were evidently enough tweaks and improvements within the next year's series to make it worth the trouble. Other owners may be able to chime in with a word of advice on this topic.

A friend of mine has one of the early naked GL1000 that has been in his garage for at least 20 years. He does hook up a battery on occasion and run some fresh gas through it every few weeks to keep it on the edge of running reasonably well. Except for a little rust on the chrome spokes and rotten tires, it actually looks pretty good. Although the owner says he has plans to give it to one of his sons living down in Houston, I don't really think the boy is interested in what he would consider a plain Jane/older machine. Now if it was cleaned up with the complete fairing, bags and trunk plus was ready to go down the road, it might be a different story. With only about 23K miles on the old girl, it is too bad she isn't in someone's stable.

Good Luck on your Project, Michael :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey winger98, There are several very successful GL1000 restoration projects that have been discussed on the Goldwing sites. A couple had been sitting up for many years. One common thread included during each writeup was when they came to rebuilding the carburetors. It is often recommended that you update to the 1100 carb assembly. There were evidently enough tweaks and improvements within the next year's series to make it worth the trouble. Other owners may be able to chime in with a word of advice on this topic.

A friend of mine has one of the early naked GL1000 that has been in his garage for at least 20 years. He does hook up a battery on occasion and run some fresh gas through it every few weeks to keep it on the edge of running reasonably well. Except for a little rust on the chrome spokes and rotten tires, it actually looks pretty good. Although the owner says he has plans to give it to one of his sons living down in Houston, I don't really think the boy is interested in what he would consider a plain Jane/older machine. Now if it was cleaned up with the complete fairing, bags and trunk plus was ready to go down the road, it might be a different story. With only about 23K miles on the old girl, it is too bad she isn't in someone's stable.

Good Luck on your Project, Michael :)
Thanks. I knew about the recommendation of going to the 1100 carbs.

When I get this bike restored, it will be naked. I hope to be able to show it, so want it to be as original as possible. It has about 70,000 miles on it.

Can you get a picture of this bike so that I can see the detailing?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Someone had installed 1100 carbs on mine.I bought it as it was in the pic.Actually that pic was the day we brought it home.I did end up putting an 1100 motor in it a couple of years later.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I rode a '75 the other day. Sits outside in the neighborhood; always wondered about it. Happened that the owner was there. Wants $1200. Seems like way to much cuz it needs everything. However, started up fine. Have rode one other of this vintage and noticed the same thing: compared to my '06, handling is way different. Like night and day. Have heard that some wrenches don't want to work on the older wings cuz of the carbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.