Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input on wiring a lighter on my 1500. I ran 2 14 gauge wires through a 30 amp fuse directly to the battery. It works 1 time then blows the fuse. What am I doing wrong? I thought I was fairly knowlegeable about this kind on stuff, guess not. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
josua: Is the fuse you ran the wire to a dedicated fuse to that wire only. It doesn't share any other wires, does it ?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the fuse is too big try a 5a or 10a fuse

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you wired it just as you reported then the load you plugged in drew more than 30 amps! Or you could have wired it backwards. What did you plug in?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lighter

The line is dedicated. Strictly for the cigarette lighter which is what puffed the fuse. Doesn't make sense. Goes from the lighter straight to the battery. The lighter is mounted in the fairing, (plastic), so + or - doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
+ or - will not make a difference if reversed if you are using it only for a cigarette lighter otherwise + is the center connection.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
The line is dedicated. Strictly for the cigarette lighter which is what puffed the fuse. Doesn't make sense. Goes from the lighter straight to the battery. The lighter is mounted in the fairing, (plastic), so + or - doesn't make a difference.
Damn. Bad ground situation ? If you can't straighten this out josua ...... your grounded. Are you using stranded wire ? Positive (+ ) and negative (-) does not make a difference on the plug in lighter side of the issue ? Like yourself, I'm grabbing for straws here. Something is getting warm in there besides your lighter tip. I'm going to light one up and ponder this.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I don't have pics, but it goes in the upper right hand corner of the pocket. You should see a cut out marked there. That is where the dealer installed it on my 2009.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I drilled in the wrong place, then looked again for the mark and FOUND IT. I drilled in the right place this time and what do you know, it fits! Well, I don't have to worry about not getting enough air in the box, now.
Thanks, Two Wheel Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Here's a pic I just took. Hope it helps...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
your main fuse is a 30a fuse you do not need a 30a fuse for a cig lighter and if the lighter element can take more than 30a the fuse will blow

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Well, I drilled in the wrong place, then looked again for the mark and FOUND IT. I drilled in the right place this time and what do you know, it fits! Well, I don't have to worry about not getting enough air in the box, now.
Thanks, Two Wheel Wing.
Sweet. A lighter and a butt ejector port in one box. Good thinking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts