Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a cig. lighter ( made for g.wing) as per instructions. I connected the white plastic end of the wiring for the lighter, to the red plastic connector behind the left pocket. I started the bike and pushed in the ligher; ... nothing! Some one suggested that I may have to put a fuse in at the fusebox. Does anyone know if it is a fuse problem, if is is , what size of fuse I need, and where in the fuse box does it go? I can experiment blowing different fuses, but I thought someone can save me some aggravation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I installed a cig. lighter ( made for g.wing) as per instructions. I connected the white plastic end of the wiring for the lighter, to the red plastic connector behind the left pocket. I started the bike and pushed in the ligher; ... nothing! Some one suggested that I may have to put a fuse in at the fusebox. Does anyone know if it is a fuse problem, if is is , what size of fuse I need, and where in the fuse box does it go? I can experiment blowing different fuses, but I thought someone can save me some aggravation.
I have an 08' and plan on doing the same thing. I did check out some installs and I do believe most of those kits come with a 10A fuse. You either need to replace the 5A that may be in there or just put the 10A in if there is no fuse.
If there is a 5A already there, you may have blown the fuse before the lighter had a chance to heat up.
Look in the owners manual and find the correct location for that fuse and it should work fine.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Also you need to be sure that the outside metal part of the socket is grounded. This will not be grounded like in a cage because of the tupperware that it is attached to. The hot lead is the center pin of the socket and the ground may be a metal tab on the outside. Connect a suitable gauge wire from a good ground on the bike to this outside pin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I looked at my owners manual and i don't know it it's a cheap one , but it doesn't show any detail of where the fuse would go .it just shows 2 rows of fuses on the right side of the fuse box. If anyone has a more detailed manual , could u let me know where a fuse for the cig. lighter might go, and the ampherage ( my yamaha had a 25 amp fuse) I don't think it's a grounging pronlem, (I could be wrong) but the instructions just say to plug the white plastic fitting from the lighter to a red plug which is next to an audio output. thanks ;dean

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is a red and white connector under the left pocket. One is for MP3 jack and the other is for a 12 volt power. Might want to make sure you hooked to the right one. Regardless of what the instructions say most will tell you that it is not a good idea to increase the fuse size. There are other things that run off of this circuit and you may end up frying wires with a bigger fuse. If you want more amps for, say, an air compressor it is better to run straight from the battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is only one jack available and that was the 1 red one that I tried. The other ( white one I think)is used up for the mp3-jack. I know it's the right jack , but there's no power. If I can find the right location on the fuse box, if that's what's wrong (no fuse )I can gradually increase the amps . of the fuse until I find one that doesn't burn out. I was hoping to talk to someone , who knows that it is a fuse issue, the amps needed, and where it goes on the fuse box. My manual is very vague

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
there is only one jack available and that was the 1 red one that I tried. The other ( white one I think)is used up for the mp3-jack. I know it's the right jack , but there's no power. If I can find the right location on the fuse box, if that's what's wrong (no fuse )I can gradually increase the amps . of the fuse until I find one that doesn't burn out. I was hoping to talk to someone , who knows that it is a fuse issue, the amps needed, and where it goes on the fuse box. My manual is very vague
I just got the Honda Service Manual. Haven't delved into it seriously yet, it's big! I'll see what I can find tonight. I want to add this power point myself.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I noticed in your first post that you pushed in the lighter. When this happened you probably blew the fuse and it may not be designed to carry enough amps to heat up the lighter. It is my impression that you could put in a bigger fuse and get it to work but you risk frying that circuit because the wiring used is not designed to carry the load.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I noticed in your first post that you pushed in the lighter. When this happened you probably blew the fuse and it may not be designed to carry enough amps to heat up the lighter. It is my impression that you could put in a bigger fuse and get it to work but you risk frying that circuit because the wiring used is not designed to carry the load.
I went today and bought the "Honda" 12v/lighter from the honda dealer ($39) but I want it NOW........lol.

I will let you know how the install goes. I did ask the tech and he said there is no grounding, just plug it in and go! I forgot to ask about the fuse location though while I was there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
please let me know when u find out about the fuse thing. If I have to stop everytime I want a smoke , it'll take 8 hours to travel a 1oo miles. I should quit , but I think I picked up a ''unable to quit gene'' ;;from my dear old dad.

·
Registered
466 Posts
please let me know when u find out about the fuse thing. If I have to stop everytime I want a smoke , it'll take 8 hours to travel a 1oo miles. I should quit , but I think I picked up a ''unable to quit gene'' ;;from my dear old dad.
I feel your pain! lol
I will figure it out tonight and let you know. Mine is an 08' not sure if it will be the same though. I really wanted the one that mounts on the left brake bracket but that sucker is $70 I think. I don't mind opening the storage compartment to get a light though. Just with they would have found a place to relocate the storage in the right side on the Airbag model. The airbags only have the single storage compartment on the left side.

I also will be installing the Handlebar risers tomorrow if anyone wants to know how that goes.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I feel your pain! lol
I will figure it out tonight and let you know. Mine is an 08' not sure if it will be the same though. I really wanted the one that mounts on the left brake bracket but that sucker is $70 I think. I don't mind opening the storage compartment to get a light though. Just with they would have found a place to relocate the storage in the right side on the Airbag model. The airbags only have the single storage compartment on the left side.

I also will be installing the Handlebar risers tomorrow if anyone wants to know how that goes.
I for one would be interested in your handlebar risers installation. I have an 08/no airbag. P.S. I was looking through the Honda Service Manual and have yet to find the aux. plug talked about here and it's termination at the fuse box. Need a class just to read the Service Manual!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
are you looking for the aux. plug for the mp-3 etc. player?
No deanw. I already have the mp-3 hookup line, came with the bike. I was searching though the manual to try and trace your problem with the cig lighter plug. There is no section in the manual that I can find the is specific to extra hook-up points. I wading through alot of diagrams, but the exercise might do me some good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
found the correct fuse for the cig . lighter.. replace the green 5amp fuse ,(about 2-3 slots down from the top marked " ACCESS. (something) Mine was burned out , as a previous writer suggested. ...should have listened to him in the first place.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Best to discover things for yourself. Unless you need it done sooner. What size fuse did you put in there ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I for one would be interested in your handlebar risers installation. I have an 08/no airbag. P.S. I was looking through the Honda Service Manual and have yet to find the aux. plug talked about here and it's termination at the fuse box. Need a class just to read the Service Manual!
Well I don't have much to tell you on the handlebar risers. I went to the dealer today to pick up a few things I ordered. One of them was the handlebar risers. They talked me into letting them install them for a 1 hour labor charge ($70) and they would install the cig lighter for free since the fairing was already taken apart and the seat was off. I also bought a brake light modulator and had them install it as well (that's why the seat was off).

So I have no info what so ever on how to go about installing any of it. But I can tell you that the Kurakin risers max setting is 1" up, 2" back towards the rider, and 1" in towards the center of the bike.
I was surprised how much an inch or two make that much of a difference. My arms are now at a relaxed position while I am fully planted into the Utopia back rest. With the stock set up, my arms were nearly stiff armed while trying to lean back on the back rest.
My very first ride on this bike was 475 miles, when I went to pick it up in Oklahoma last weekend and rode it back to Houston. By the time we got home, my back was killing me! I have only put a few mile so far with the risers on but we are taking a few hour ride tomorrow and I will know for sure just how good it works. But it feels pretty good so far.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Well I don't have much to tell you on the handlebar risers. I went to the dealer today to pick up a few things I ordered. One of them was the handlebar risers. They talked me into letting them install them for a 1 hour labor charge ($70) and they would install the cig lighter for free since the fairing was already taken apart and the seat was off. I also bought a brake light modulator and had them install it as well (that's why the seat was off).

So I have no info what so ever on how to go about installing any of it. But I can tell you that the Kurakin risers max setting is 1" up, 2" back towards the rider, and 1" in towards the center of the bike.
I was surprised how much an inch or two make that much of a difference. My arms are now at a relaxed position while I am fully planted into the Utopia back rest. With the stock set up, my arms were nearly stiff armed while trying to lean back on the back rest.
My very first ride on this bike was 475 miles, when I went to pick it up in Oklahoma last weekend and rode it back to Houston. By the time we got home, my back was killing me! I have only put a few mile so far with the risers on but we are taking a few hour ride tomorrow and I will know for sure just how good it works. But it feels pretty good so far.
Well, the " how it's done " is never more important than the " how it works ". Would have done the same thing if a mechanic was standing there with a wrench in one hand and my part in the other. That's a no brainer. I'm pondering the adjustment changes you've given here and trying to envision them with my currant seating position. It looks good to me in my minds eye. The 1" up would be a definite help already. Saw a picture of myself riding away from a ol' friends house that she posted on Facebook. Gave me a good view of my seating posture and it's confirmed that a bit " up " and a bit " back " would look and feel more comfortable. You have inspired me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, the " how it's done " is never more important than the " how it works ". Would have done the same thing if a mechanic was standing there with a wrench in one hand and my part in the other. That's a no brainer. I'm pondering the adjustment changes you've given here and trying to envision them with my currant seating position. It looks good to me in my minds eye. The 1" up would be a definite help already. Saw a picture of myself riding away from a ol' friends house that she posted on Facebook. Gave me a good view of my seating posture and it's confirmed that a bit " up " and a bit " back " would look and feel more comfortable. You have inspired me.
Just beware of a couple of things. There is a cover that you may not even know is there that will not fit once they are installed. This is a plastic cover over the top of the forks. I am not sure what purpose it serves and I did not know it was even there (or not there) until I saw the part in the trunk when I got home.
The other thing is, the throttle cables are pulled to their absolute limit. They are too short to run along the handlebar now and intead make a straight shot from the throttle down to where they are clamped off to the forks. They rub the fairing unless you do something. I took a piece of velcro and pulled them just enough where they do no rub.
This week I am going to see if there is any way to trace them down to the engine and see if there is any slack that I can pull from them. They are ok as long as they don't rub but had I known, I would have tried one of the lesser settings when they installed them. There are five options you can set these risers to. I chose the max settings and did a test fit before they tightened everything down but did not notice the cables till after the fact.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably go with a different brand riser. I saw one the other day and don't remember the brand but it raised the bars up about 1.5" and towards the rider about 2" but it did not move the bars in toward the bike like these did. I had no problem with the width of the bars and even though it is only an inch, it is very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Good " heads up " for me, Buzzy. I have often been pleasantly surprised and utterly disappointed in seemingly minute changes to motorcycle modifications. Every little change that has to do with riding comfort is either not noticeable or exaggerated to the point of worse. If I can profit from your experience, your life was not lived in vain!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts