Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got new front brakes and tires on a 2003 gl1800ABS. Rode it home and noticed a sounds,sounded like cicadas in a tree, coming from the bike. Called the dealer where I had everything done. They said that was typical as the brake pads were new and shaping to the rotors. Now I know to a degree that is true, but shouldn't that change if I tap the brake? I mean it changes if I slow down in general. But I would think tapping the brakes would stop it for that moment..
BUT I don't know.
Has anyone every heard this noise? It's not the regular gold wing engine whine. I am familiar with that one now. 馃槈
Michael

Premium Member
Did they get the left front caliper aligned properly? I got my bike back after front seal replacement and this was not done. If not aligned correctly the brake rotor can rub on the caliper body. The left lower fork may need to be moved in or out to center rotor in caliper, this should be done before you tighten the pinch bolts on the axle. NOTE: on mine the index line on axle is almost completely hidden when centered.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/677774/Honda-Goldwing-Gl1800.html?page=165#manual

Hope this helps, at least a place to start looking.

Administrator
I would have to agree with Jim's assessment, but in part. The other thing is what brand of tires did they put on the bike and what pressures front and rear? Tire road noise is often a complaint due to the extreme quiet nature of Goldwings. Just a thought...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Did they get the left front caliper aligned properly? I got my bike back after front seal replacement and this was not done. If not aligned correctly the brake rotor can rub on the caliper body. The left lower fork may need to be moved in or out to center rotor in caliper, this should be done before you tighten the pinch bolts on the axle. NOTE: on mine the index line on axle is almost completely hidden when centered.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/677774/Honda-Goldwing-Gl1800.html?page=165#manual

Hope this helps, at least a place to start looking.
Don't they leave all that stuff on and remove the wheel?
I would assume they do that for tire replacement instead of taking the brakes off?
And the pads- do they remove the calipers and forks just to replace pads?
I know I may sound like a noob, but when I changed the pads on my busa I didn't have to do that to change the pads so forgive my ignorance.

Thank you for your help!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I would have to agree with Jim's assessment, but in part. The other thing is what brand of tires did they put on the bike and what pressures front and rear? Tire road noise is often a complaint due to the extreme quiet nature of Goldwings. Just a thought...
I don't think it's road noise. Too high pitched.
BUT it could be. I'm learning. ;)

I'll check tire pressure later.

Thanks for your help as well!

M

Registered
I would assume they do that for tire replacement instead of taking the brakes off?
And the pads- do they remove the calipers and forks just to replace pads?
I know I may sound like a noob, but when I changed the pads on my busa I didn't have to do that to change the pads so forgive my ignorance.

Thank you for your help!
Front wheel requires at least the right caliper to be removed when removing the wheel. Most techs remove both calipers though to prevent damage to the wheel.
As far as pads, neither the front or rear wheel needs to be removed. He had tires installed also.

Premium Member
AS "bcihil" said at least the right caliper must be removed. Then in order to remove front wheel the axle must be pulled from within the wheel and thru lower fork legs. When reassembling the axle is slide back thru fork legs and front wheel assembly. Before the pinch bolts on left lower fork are tightened is when the alignment is needed to center left side brake caliper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Tire pressure looks good. The caliper at quick glance looks ok. Meaning the spacing looks consistent on the pad. Is there something special i should check to verify?

Premium Member
Tire pressure looks good. The caliper at quick glance looks ok. Meaning the spacing looks consistent on the pad. Is there something special i should check to verify?
Here is a picture of caliper body with pads in. The clearance of caliper body needs to be very close to the same on each side of rotor. Very hard to see the top area of caliper, front fender off is best.
This shows only one side of left rotor but both sides need equal clearance.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Took off the plastic cover

I took off the plastic to see the caliper and really can't see the top part. I took pictures. Maybe someone can see better than I can because they know what to look for. From what i can deduce, if the caliper was at an angle, the visible pad would look like it was at an angle. thoughts?

Attachments

Registered
That first picture doesn't look quite right. The may have bent the retaining clip. That little hook looks unusual. Pull the left pads and make sure the clip isn't bent. Look at the right side. Should be a mirror image.
Without puling mine apart I can't be sure if it's in the clip properly.
And as Ron said, the rotor may have been bent when they were installing the tire. It's happened more than once.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
OK, had a guy who's ridden goldwings for years. He says it's common engine noise and that I am probably just now noticing it because the new tires are quieter and I am ' looking for it'. He said the brakes were fine. He said he thought it might be the alternator, but if it is going that there is a lot of time left on it.
Just wanted to update everyone.
Thanks again!

M

Premium Member
For all of us 1800 riders we describe alternator noise with the word " whine ". Mine has done it from day one to some degree except 5th. If it doesn't clank, stumble or explode, ride on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
still not sure that's what it is- the alternator that is. It doesn't sound like a whine. Literally, it sounds like a bunch of cicadas in a tree.

:)

Registered
I have never heard that type of noise from my Wing. True, they are so quiet that minor noises you would not hear on a V-twin are hear-able on the Wing, But a cicada noise, I have experienced a lot on bicycle trail rides, but not on my Wing.

Premium Member
Now there is one other noise associated with the 1800. It has been described as the sound of the Jetsons mobile taking off.
Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Registered
Why not put the bike on the center stand, get someone to push down on the trunk to raise the front tire and then spin it to see if you hear the noise. All these maybes will not help you unless you try the obvious. Maybe there is a screw or rock in the tread. Maybe, just maybe, you have a valve that has developed too big a gap. Does your mystery noise increase with speed or is it constant. If it is constant then just maybe it is a Cicada.

Premium Member
I can't tell by the pictures but what if you put the bike on the center stand and block up the front wheel so you can spin it by hand. You should be able to isolate which side is at fault and proceed from there.

Registered
For all of us 1800 riders we describe alternator noise with the word " whine ". Mine has done it from day one to some degree except 5th. If it doesn't clank, stumble or explode, ride on.
Whine? My '04 had it, but it was not bad.
My 2012 sometimes gets annoying. I think it was after 2006 that Honda put in the heavier alternator and the whine got worse. Mine starts at about 2500 rpm no matter what gear I'm in.
Turn up the radio!!!!
Another noise is the ticking sound. People think it's the lifter's. It's the injectors closing. More noticeable on the left side for some reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts