Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and installed an Add On brand Chrome tiiming cover on my GL1800. I've ridden it twice and noticed this evening when I got off of the bike, the cover was leaning up against the front fender--it had come loose and fortunately I didn't lose it. It appears the cover has plenty of tape to hold it on, BUT....when the chrome cover is installed it doesn't appear to slide up tight against the timing cover; thus all the tape apparently does not stick. A couple of observations: 1) the chrome cover is notched at about the 12 o'clock position, but on closer inspection of the bike, it appears there are other items that are on the perimeter of the timing cover recessed somewhat where they are hard to see on a cursory look and they are apparently preventing the cover from sliding up far enough to actually be secured tight with all the tape. Anyone experience the same problem or found a solution? Thanks in advance for any help or solutions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
I have one on my 08 and have no problems, use several strips of 2 way tape and make sure they are on the highest part of the cover, some have used Velcro on the cover plate also, that way you can take it off when needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Cliffusaf,
I had the same exact problem fitting the chrome cover on my 2010 Wing. It would not mount flush against the OEM timing cover. Like you said the flange at the top on the chrome cover hit part of the OEM Timing Cover mounting area.
I ended up taking my Dremel and cutting about 1/2" off the chrome cover flange from about 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. I should have taken pictures to show others. You cannot see the cut off area once I mounted it.
It fit tight against the timing cover after I cut the flange and has not come loose since I mounted it.
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing Cover

Rob,

Great input. This confirms my suspicions. I knew there had to be an issue--it just didn't seem like it went all the way up on it when it was originally installed. Thanks, again.

Cliff
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
163 Posts
i had the same problem,i used silicone adhisive
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top