Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Those are next to impossible to remove without damaging the paint or the part itself. . They are held on with tape similar to 3M VHB automotive molding tape. Using a hair dryer, not a heat gun, and carefully and slowly lifting the piece may work.There is a good bit of tape holding it on.
As far as the led's , it may be a bad solder connection. Remember, you have an older model and aftermarket parts are very hard to find. Probably out of production for years.
Personally, I will not put anything on my bike that sticks on, especially chrome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are next to impossible to remove without damaging the paint or the part itself. . They are held on with tape similar to 3M VHB automotive molding tape. Using a hair dryer, not a heat gun, and carefully and slowly lifting the piece may work.There is a good bit of tape holding it on.
As far as the led's , it may be a bad solder connection. Remember, you have an older model and aftermarket parts are very hard to find. Probably out of production for years.
Personally, I will not put anything on my bike that sticks on, especially chrome.
I purchased used and they were on. I would not have put on personally. I will try heat.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you can get a top edge of the light strip loose, get an eye dropped and fill the edge that is loose with Goo Gone and let it sit the Goo Gone will loosen the adhesive a little at a time and should not hurt the chrome. This method will take time but will leave no additional damage.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can get a top edge of the light strip loose, get an eye dropped and fill the edge that is loose with Goo Gone and let it sit the Goo Gone will loosen the adhesive a little at a time and should not hurt the chrome. This method will take time but will leave no additional damage.
I will have to try Goo Gone to remove the accessory, the LED strips are built into the piece.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an issue with the attachments and the LED strip not fully functional. Curious what the part is and how to get and replace the double sided tape or to remove all together.

All my searches are without led strips built in.
You might try a product called Un-du. It's used to release adhesive applied items until it dries and then the adhesive reactivates. I'm thinking as you work across an edge have some strips of plastic cut,(maybe a milk jug) and slide in between to hold it out. I use it to remove some very old baked on stickers from vehicles and haven't had any problems with paint. SLOW and EASY is the key. Welcome to un-du®, the solution to your sticky removal situations!
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts