Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advise here: Purchased the chrome trims that go on the side of the fairing. I think these are the radiator vents. These chrome covers just cover the existing parts. Question: Should I use the glue or the double sided tape or both? I thought the instructions were somewhat vague and thought to ask the Forum as I'm sure there are lots of folks who have been where I am right now.
I added the air dam trims that go on the bottom of the side cases. Not real impressed with those little pop up (down) fasteners. Had quite a time getting them back. There must be an easier way to put them back. Guess I'm just old. I thought screws worked pretty good. New technology for an old guy!

Thanks for your input.
Locknut

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I prefer to use double sided tape on any accessories, makes them easier to remove if the part rusts or plating peels off the plastic parts.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Locknut

I just installed both add ons you describe. I didn't have any glue with my chrome trim for the faring so I only used the double sided tape. It seems like they are in place to stay but time will tell.
As for the air dam trim, I broke one of the pop up/down fasteners by the time I figured out how to remove them. I agree with you, why not use a plain old fashioned screw and nut??? I knew I was going to be installing some bling so I had already purchased some extra double sided tape just in case I needed or wanted more for any given installation. When I installed the air dam I used double sided tape AND the plastic fasteners.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Double sided tape will not damage the finish on the tupperware like glue will, so I would go with the DS tape.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I de badged my 96 silverado last year. i.e., taking off the decals on the side and rear of the truck. GM used two sided tape.

After 15 years, it was still hard as heck to peel this off. I had to use dental floss to CUT thru the tape and then a 3m remover to get the rest off without damaging the paint. That gave me renewed respect for "tape".

There are lots of ways to mount these and do whatever you want but I can't see the chrome plating lasting as long as the tape. And when you remove it, there will be no evidence it was ever there.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts