Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year as part of my daughters christmas present, I took her on a fossil trip. We left on Sunday at 11:30 am. Leaving north on hwy 1 for about 20 miles before getting onto the M20 out to Gawler. From Gawler cotinued to Kapunda. This is through rolling farm land with the golden crops that have not yet being harvested yet. At Kapund we stoped to get a photo of the map Kernow. Or knowen as Son of Cornwall a 8 metre statue made of bronze. This was the first mining town in South Australia. Being a holiday here nothing was open so we went down to Eudunda for lunch which was another one of our early towns. At a later date I will tell you about these town as they play an important part of our early history.We rode straight through to Overland Corner. At about 20 miles before Overland Corner, one of our wild life call a kangaroo that had not read the rule book about when it is fair to atempt to cross the road. They are surpose to be nocturnal and this about 2pm. We were travelling at about 70mph and he was travelling at about 30mph straight out of the scrub. I braked hard, he braked hard. My heart rate had gone through the roof. Sensing my stress he did a u turn, I was happy and I think he was happy that we didn't meet personally. Overland Corner has an old mine where it is easy to get fossils which Kemeri wanted to get.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Glad you didn't meet him too!

Those pictures of the town look a lot like some of the small towns here in Eastern Washington!

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overland Corner was very important in our state early white history. South Australia was proclaimed in 1836 and the Overland Corner pub was built in 1851. It was built by the station owner [ranch owner to you guys] because of the movement of stock through there. They would rest the stock there on the flood plains with good feed and water for the stock. With the pub being there, the stockman had a good feed and drink as well. A post office and police station soon followed, so it become a stop for the Cobb & Co. stage coach. There was big movement through there with the gold rush. Soon after it was establish paddle steamers would stop there to get wood for their boilers. We were there to find fossils. The next photos is of Eudunda which was on the way to Overland Corner and Overland Corner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Interesting stuff Eric, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Glad your trip ended safely Eric!!! I wonder if they make Kangaroo Whistles!!! ( Like my deer whistles)

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next photos are at Overland Corner and Kemeri finding her fossils.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Rigginray6 I have a roo whistle on my bike but I don't know if they do anything or if they are there to make you feel like you have some protection. I have had many near hit with roos and 1 hit but that is another story. We spent the whole afternoon at Overland Corner and I had to drag her away from her fossils to go and get dinner. We went to a country town called Waikerie which rest on the Murray River and with the water from the river they have a lot of oranges grown here. They also have wineries here. We stop here for dinner at a pub and should have stayed the night. But someone in his wisdom decieded that there was still some daylight and we would get more into the next day if we were to get a few more miles in before dark. The next town was called Blanchetown down hwy20 about 20miles but when we got there was no accomadation so we went to Swan Reach. It is not the best idea to be on outback roads at night on a bike. We didn't see anyone on the road to Swan Reach and you may not see anyone until daylight. The first photos is at Waikerie and the photos after the paddle steamer are at Swan Reach.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swan Reach rest on the River Murray and has fossil just outside the Hotel. The owner there was great, when we arrived he asked me if I would like the bike to be place into a shed. I thought that would be a good idea, and when he put it into the shed he had a security alarm and a padlock on the door. Now thats what I call service. The hotel sits high up on the banks overlooking the river. We sat outside with a few drinks watching the river and the carry on of the young ones. The next morning it was breakfast and down to the fossils. There is another place that has a lot of fossils and that is Mannum. Mannum is another town that was important to the river trade. At about 3 miles out of Mannum there is a road cutting where you can get fossil easy. Also on the other side of the river is a basaltic dike. The next photos is Mannum and the last photo is looking back at Mannum from the Mount Lofty Ranges towards Mannum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mannum through Birdwood, Chain of Ponds is a favorite ride of mine. This was a lot of fun for me as well, but this was our Christmas present to Kemeri. I am sure she will remember this for a very long time. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Thanks for taking us on the trip Eric. Nothing beats some quality time worth your family. I'm sure you will both remember it for years to come. I'm surprised you didn't have "Vanessa the geologist" following by car. Anyway great trip from the American Fossil (no searching needed, sometimes he just won't go away).

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Great trip Eric and thanks for the tour. I know both of you will remember the trip for a life-time. Ride safe

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The top line is: The ladies room, A wheel chair room, The gents. The middle: Car parking, Information board. The bottom line: No trucks are to park on babies.................. Ok I am joking, the bottom line is: no truck parking and baby changing available. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
The top line is: The ladies room, A wheel chair room, The gents. The middle: Car parking, Information board. The bottom line: No trucks are to park on babies.................. Ok I am joking, the bottom line is: no truck parking and baby changing available. Eric
Tks. The baby changing was the one that stumped me. Around here this one is the more popular. Most of the time only the icon is used.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts