Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing about 200 miles tomorrow. I checked the oil and it just tips the low end.
Here is my problem...My normal mechanic isn't around to ask what oil he used. I will be riding by a Suzuki place....
Questions:confused:
1. Should I go on and wait to talk to my mechanic
2. Get some compatible 10w40 at the Suzuki place.
or
3. Don't go....:eek:
Oh yeah and
#4 - how much oil is needed if it just tips the low end.
Next time I change my own oil!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Are you on the center stand when checking?

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir and i did not screw the dipstick in just seated it. If I screw it in I got plenty of oil....in case that comes up.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay.....here is the plan.:eek:
I found a Honda Powersports dealer 20 minutes away.
I go by on the way and pick up some oil.
Does that sound ok?

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I would buy a qt of 10w40 honda dino oil and take it with you. There always seems to be a big discussion on how to check the oil level and the amount of time it takes for the oil to drain back into the pan. If you oil was recently changed and 4 qts were put in then it should be fine unless you have observed smoke or oil dripping under the bike. JMHO..

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
It sounds like a good plan to me. I don't like mixing oil brands but when on the road and I can't get the oil I am useing I get what MC oil that is there and change it when I get home. I see it as the best that I can do at the time. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Charlie...None of that. I just followed the instructions in the manual. No leaking and oil was changed about 3K ago.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Synthetic oil will mix well with dino, but that will shorten the life of your oil if your bike is full of Synthetic and you use dino. Buy a quart of Synthetic motorcycle oil and add some to bring it up between the two bars.

Then after your ride and at your leisure change to Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for peace of mind. I use Mobil One Motorcycle Racing Oil. Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm going to check my oil right now. As most do, I put a gallon in and forget it until I drain it. All's well. EFFIN': It's not a quart low if it's reading on the stick fully seated. You are not going to blow up. Buy a quart of regular 10W-40 motorcycle oil and top it off. And yes ! Do your own oil changes.The only inconvenience is getting your drained oil to any recycling tank.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Could you please share where that information came from:confused:
Since there is semi-sythetic lubes on the market, I'd like to hear the history behind that statement. Thanks
Dino oil by nature starts to decompose from heat and friction. Semi synthetic oil is blended to lower the retail price of "synthetic oil." I would not want to put a 1/2 quart of dino oil in a full crankcase full of synthetic and ride it for a summer. A weekend or a week, probably would.

I use synthetic Mobil One Motorcycle Racing Oil. I change it once a year with a filter change in between. I don't count the miles put on the oil. I do the same thing with Mobil One in my pickup. A filter change 1/2 way through the year and don't count the miles.

I wouldn't dare do that with dino.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Seem I just read a post some place from a fellow that had just Changed the oil on his 1800, Started it, ran it a few minutes and shut it down and check the oil it was not on the stick. After 20 minutes or so he checked it again and it was up where it should be.

On the 1500 you are not supposed to screw the stick in when check it.
I've used Shell Rotella T6, 5-40 Synthetic for the last 90,000 on my 93. Change oil and filter every 3000-4000 miles
Probably didn't help but it gave you guys something to read.;)

From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Seem I just read a post some place from a fellow that had just Changed the oil on his 1800, Started it, ran it a few minutes and shut it down and check the oil it was not on the stick. After 20 minutes or so he checked it again and it was up where it should be.
Thats sounds like me today......After, I worried with this, bought a quart of oil, get back home, check the oil again and ....It was where it should be. Come back 10 minutes later and checked it again...same result. Maybe I am blind. Nonetheless, I appreciate you guys worrying with me. Sorry to waste your time.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
AAAwww gee wiz, what are friends for.;)
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

It just is that way sometimes. I had some electrical problems a few weeks ago. I checked all of my fuses.... or I thought I had. I was talking to my friend about it, we went through the fuses again.... I had blown a fuse.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
You know I had that same problem. At least that's what someone told me. Still don't know what they meant.:confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am doing about 200 miles tomorrow. I checked the oil and it just tips the low end.
Here is my problem...My normal mechanic isn't around to ask what oil he used. I will be riding by a Suzuki place....
Questions:confused:
1. Should I go on and wait to talk to my mechanic
2. Get some compatible 10w40 at the Suzuki place.
or
3. Don't go....:eek:
Oh yeah and
#4 - how much oil is needed if it just tips the low end.
Next time I change my own oil!!!
I use full synthetic most of the time and use 1 liter bottles. 1 liter = 1.05668821 US quarts so I know there is enough oil in the engine. I still check it every time I ride, whcih could be daily at times, and it is usually in the middle of the marks with dip stick NOT screwed in and at the top mark when I screw it in. I believe the specs are just under 4 qts with new filter so if the dealer follwed the spec you would read lower on the dip stick. I always use 4 full liters or quarts.:)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Checking oil..... Should be done on a cold engine or at least 30 minutes after shutting down. This is due to oil "hang".

As far as blending... Synthetic, petroleum, blend... They will all blend well enough to operate but it is recommended to change oil as soon as possible.

The base stocks of the oils will blend with no problems but additive packages, which is what you are really concerned about, may vary and can effect the life or operational characteristics of the oil.

Many people believe that "oil is oil" and, especially these days, that is far from the truth.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
oil check

you state "check oil with engine cold", makes sense to me but honda manual state" run a few mins. wait a few mins and check oil.?????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts