Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2010) Honda Goldwing Trike
Yesterday for some reason I decided to check all the screws in my back top luggage box............. Too my surprise "they were all loose" [some were ready to fall out] so I tightened them all up good and tight.....I placed some "red" lock tight on each screw so they won't come loose again.....So this is just a suggestion, to check those screws, yours may be loose also..........

I also suggest to take the time to go around and check all the bolts on your bike as well.. You just may be surprised to find a few loose bolts there also.....[I know I did find a few loose] and I'm a fanatic with my bike....

I'm new here on this board, BUT you will soon learn that I'm also an oil and filter "changeaholic"........I have friends say that I can't believe that your changing the oil and filter again(??) and I also sit in my garage and give my bike a total wax job, every time it rains....

Life is good! I'm retired now, so no more working 10 hour ++ a day doing heating and plumbing.........

Ronnie

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch! I didn't realize that loctite will ruin plastic.... It may be too late now....All screws are now tighten into the plastic...... So far only two days later, but all are still 100% tighter then before using.. many "thanks for the "heads up" Any suggestions of what to do next??

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
-----Any suggestions of what to do next??

Ronnie
I would just leave them be till a time that it becomes necessary to remove them, may never need to. If the need does arise deal with any problem at that point

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Mr. Jim..............I like your thinking! (y) there all good ~n~ tight .... now as we speak

Ronnie

·
Registered
30 Posts
JMO: I don't think Loctite will "ruin" plastic. My personal experience is from using RED loctite on the fairing screws of a 2009 RSV. When the dealer had to remove the fairing to get to the stereo amp system, every screw mount broke before the screws loosened. $800 replacement lesson!. BLUE to hold and remove, RED to hold and never remove. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
14,115 Posts
Check the screws in the side boxes too. That's where I learned to check them. Found two in the bottom one day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JMO: I don't think Loctite will "ruin" plastic. My personal experience is from using RED loctite on the fairing screws of a 2009 RSV. When the dealer had to remove the fairing to get to the stereo amp system, every screw mount broke before the screws loosened. $800 replacement lesson!. BLUE to hold and remove, RED to hold and never remove. :oops:

Aaaaaaa thank you, I knew there was a color code, to follow ( I just wasn't sure what color was what) I do heating/plumbing (and never use the lock tight stuff) Ok, I just checked old package of what color tite that I used and it RED... This UNused tite has been sitting in my tool box for at least a year, I was happy to finely use it...

Ronnie

·
Registered
744 Posts
Loctite will make the plastic very brittle. Trying to remove the screws would be the reason the screw mounts broke.
I have used a piece of a small wire tie to secure loose screws. They are nylon and compress while you are turning the screw.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loctite will make the plastic very brittle. Trying to remove the screws would be the reason the screw mounts broke.
I have used a piece of a small wire tie to secure loose screws. They are nylon and compress while you are turning the screw.
R U saying that you place a small piece of wire tie FIRST, inside the hole that your screwing into?? Hmmmm that's a good idea, actually, cause I do have a couple of packages of small wire ties hanging in my garage..

Ronnie

·
Registered
744 Posts
R U saying that you place a small piece of wire tie FIRST, inside the hole that your screwing into?? Hmmmm that's a good idea, actually, cause I do have a couple of packages of small wire ties hanging in my garage..

Ronnie

That's exactly what I do. I used these on the front pockets in my 2004 when the screws were loose. Left them hang over and cut the off before the last few turns..

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the Loctite web site:
▪ Not for use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/TDS-209728-US-Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242-Carded-Tube-0.20-fl-oz-2018-04-09pdf
WOW! I totally "thank" you for going out of your way to help me here with this info..............OK It looks like I screwed up, using it on plastic.... I'm going back this morning to RElook at the situation that I have cause myself.. If only I had made a "plan B" for myself in case this didn't work out...[The thought of buying a new back case doesn't thrill me much]...I'll let you all know the outcome of my mistake...
Ok one more question here: How about using Gorilla glue ...Unscrew these screws and place a dab of G/glue on each screw before tightening back down???

·
Super Moderator
14,115 Posts
There may be a reason to get in there one day. I don't do anything that I can't undo. But if you figure you never need to, then maybe the Gorilla glue would be an option.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,675 Posts
I light of the path this thread is devolving into, we need a new thread starter. I suggest the possible headers:
Glued and Screwed.
Once and Forever Done.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
A bit of a different slant on this, but last week I put a set of deep snow skis on my sled which required me to remove the ski toe loops from the front to mount back on the new skis. Torx head bolts and nyloc nuts. Couldn't figure why I couldn't get the darn bolts and nuts to separate. After almost an hour of sweating, cursing and using a heat source, finally got them off. Yup, red locktite. Who in their right mind uses locktite on nylocs fer Gawd sake?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A bit of a different slant on this, but last week I put a set of deep snow skis on my sled which required me to remove the ski toe loops from the front to mount back on the new skis. Torx head bolts and nyloc nuts. Couldn't figure why I couldn't get the darn bolts and nuts to separate. After almost an hour of sweating, cursing and using a heat source, finally got them off. Yup, red locktite. Who in their right mind uses locktite on nylocs fer Gawd sake?
Well, it looks like red locktite woks, well, I'll never take the box apart so I used gorilla glue to hold in those loose screws, so far it works, I haven't ridden anywhere due to this Corona virus, BUT at least the screws are not popping out.........Again, it sure beats buying a new box....

Ronnie

·
Registered
82 Posts
First, had you checked these since the conversion? There are a lot of screws on the GL1800, and it wouldn't surprise me if a tech left a bunch loose during the work. Second, ABS should never need locktite. If it does, someone has over-tightened and stripped threads. I would suggest ABS cement on a screw lightly wiped with a release like candle wax and very lightly snugged. I have rescued four '78 and '79 GL1000s. None of the screws into ABS were loose.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My trike builder is very shaky.. I HIGHLY SUGGEST EVERYBODY STAY AWAY FROM KEENE NEW HAMPSHIRE TRIKE BUILDER HE WILL RIP YOU OFF! You may be correct in saying about this builder may have done it, cause he was the one that actually mentioned to me about his service guy working on my back box instead of fixing the problem that went in for him to fix (which was an electrical problem,) why was he in my back box...he couldn't fix it and and over charged me $130.00 and I still have the problem....STAY AWAY FROM KEENE NEW HAMPSHIRE..HE WILL RIP YOU OFF

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts