Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having trouble with my battery running out of juice and barely having enough to get the bike started again if I shut it off. So figuring the battery was about 3 or 4 years

old I purchased a new battery.

Problem is same thing started happening right away again. I tested the battery at idle and got 12.3 - 12. 7 volts ( after charging it ) but when checking it under load 2500 to 5500 rpm it is not charging.

So it seems I may have purchased a battery unecessarily as it would appear my charging system is not working.

I am not electrically oriented at all so have no real idea what could be the problem. Now when I bouth the bike a few months ago the owner told me a previous owner had the stator replaced or fixed ? But there is no paper proof of that. Is there a way to tell for sure if the stator has been replaced or fixed ?

Also any suggestions on what could be a possible culprit in a charging system that is not working ?

Thanks !

tgsguitar ( Jim )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim You can put a volt meter on your battery though you have to have the motor running.The charge going to your battery should be around 14 volts ,if not you probably have stator problems. The bad news is the motor has to be pulled to replace the stator. I wish you the best of luck. Doug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Charging

I have tested with a Voltmeter and while the battery is at about 12.3-12.7 at idle it does not change when I throttle it up. So it appears nothing is happening.

I am taking it to a mechanic to look at in the next couple of days.

Thanks!
tgsguitar

·
Registered
91 Posts
As mentioned, there are really only 3 parts to the charging system, the alternator, regulator and battery. Obviously your battery is good (as it's brand new). As you are only getting 12 volts with the engine running, either the alternator is not working or the regulator is defective. You need to isolate which is faulty. If you can find the alternator, there are 3 wires coming out of the alternator that go to a connector. You need to unplug the connector, get a voltmeter that can read ac volts then fire up the bike and measure the following combinations, wire 1 to wire 2, wire 2 to wire 3, wire 3 to wire 1, all 3 combinations should give you something over 40 volts, if they do then the regulator or wiring is at fault. If you do not get the 40 volts or so across all 3 combinations, then the alternator is at fault. As mentioned, it's an engine out job to replace the alternator. If you don't feel comfortable checking the alternator, then take it to a garage. It should only take a few minutes for them to confirm if the alternator is working or not..

Gary

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks !

Hey Gary, thanks for the expanation, that helps. I am taking the bike in the next day or so to a mechanic to have a look at it and am keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the stator.

Supposedly the stator was done by one of the previous owners, at least that's what I was told when I bought the bike.

Thanks Again !
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery will come back a little but not much. Really it's like the battery
is draining down despite being a new battery. When I tested the battery yesterday
under load ( 3500 - 6000 rpm ) the voltmeter registered no increase in output meaning for some reason the charging system is not replenishing the battery and therefore the battery runs on on e charge until it's drained and that it ?

Everyone is indicating it's most likely the stator gone bad, but I'm sure hoping it's something much simpler and cheaper than that !

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea, that sounds like mine. It will not start back up after a ride, but when it cools down, it will start back up. But it does not have alot of power to do so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haD similiar issues as both posters describe and I traced it down myself to a burnt connector at the voltage regulator plug. 10 mins with a soldering iron and hardwiring all six lines myself
f fixed my problem. Please make sure you have that checked as well. Could save u quite a bit! Pm me if you want a quick description on how to get to it.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
badazzbuckeye your starter is going bad! I have the same issue with one of my GL1200s!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check the regulator/rectifier - I'm waiting for a new one. Simple continuity test described in the shop manual will tell you if it's good or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.