Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charging Question and how does the system work…

Okay, I know…”if it aint broke…don’t fix it….” So I am not touching anything at this point…just looking for answers…

I have my old 83 interstate…she is running pretty well…does some tapping, smokes a little but after 5000 miles things are going well. The bike is totally Honda and there are 4 Honda gauges under the windshield bolted on the inside of the faring.

The far left gauge is for “Volts”…

I am trying to figure out what this is really reading. Is it reading the top of the battery volts or is it reading what is going on when there is a load or is it reading what the stator is doing. I watch it carefully since I am told these old machine have bad problems with stators and when they go…it is a engine removal to replace and fix…yuck…that means no more riding for a long while for me…and this is true for me….

"I ride, therefore I am….

It usually stays in the 12 or a little more then 12 without running anything extra accessory wise. However, let the engine heat in the summer at a stop light and the aux cooling fan kicks in. this brings the voltage down below 12 easily. If it stays this way for a long period of time it seems to eventually come back up as if a regulator tells the unit it is time to let the power flow…not sure how this works.

If I turn on the Christmas tree lights, gps and the cooling fan comes on it seems to live for the most part below 12 volts though I never get a dead battery.

Now, I put a new battery in the bike last year when I first got the bike and clearly if it was killing the battery I think it would already have been dead more then once but she has never failed me…never failed to start and always seems to have what she needs to take me on my journey’s…

So, is the gauge working? If it is, what does a normal gauge do in the course of riding? Does it act like a car with a regulator by kicking on and off the flow of power as needed? Is the gauge from Honda connected to a certain place for the circuit to be complete and if so is it at the stator, battery or does it have a regulator?

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know how accurate the guage is but it should always be putting out more than 12 volts so as to make up for what you are drawing out of the battery with accessories. I think usually it should be charging at at least 14/15 just to keep the battery fully charged and so that you can use the navi and whatever other accessories and still maintain 12 volts. It's my experience that if you are reading under 12 at times under a load, the day is coming where you will have to do some repair work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts