Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a '99 Goldwing SE. Current situation is my new battery is now too weak to start the bike. Bike runs fine off the alternator. I realize there is a slim chance the battery is bad, but I'm thinking there may be something keeping it from being charged. Any thought/experiences will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
A new battery has to be "fully charged" or it will give you problems. The stock alternator on the GL1500 Wing does just enough to keep it charged under most circumstances. If you have additional electrical drain then all bets are off. My suggestion is to charge the battery for a full day and then try it again.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum from Pa. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Nice folks on here.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello gebaggett and welcome to GWOF. how old is your battery,is it full of water, do you see sulfer buildup in it, are your battery cables clean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello gebaggett and welcome to GWOF. how old is your battery,is it full of water, do you see sulfer buildup in it, are your battery cables clean

Battery is new, maintainance free, battery cables clean. Going out to try to troubleshoot it now.

thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dont be so sure its not your NEW battery. I had one that did not make it a month. Take the battery out and take it to a auto parts store and have them check it out. That how I found mine to be bad good luck.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The only way to tell if your battery is good is to actually have it load tested. We have lots of trouble with 'new' batteries in units at the dealership being weak or totally shot right out of the crate. I really believe that this is one of those cases where they don't make 'em like they used to.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Have it charged and load tested, perform a load test after the battery has been off the charger for 24 hours. A quick check of battery voltage should be 12.6 volts engine off and at least 13.8 volts with engine running, though you may see as much as 14.5 volts engine running. Target is 13.8 to 14.2 volts running. Are all of your connections clean and tight?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a DEKA gel mat battery in my '98 SE three years ago. With the aid of a battery tender during the winter this battery is still going strong. With over 300 cca slow cranking speed or voltage drops are not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Battery is new, maintainance free, battery cables clean. Going out to try to troubleshoot it now.

thanks
So what was the outcome?? Inquiring minds want to know..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts