Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hope this might help some one else. purchased 1986 goldwing interstate gl 1200. bike had 11000 miles original on it. did alot of routine maintance stuff, new tires ,new battery all new fluids ,carbs re worked, new timing belts, plugs etc, put new tapered fork seals in etc, found problem bike wouldnt charge, actually was discharging battery when running, found plastic wire connection from stator harness to battery etc, wires shorted out in metal clip which wore hole thru plastic connector , cut out connector cut wires back to good wire and but connected them together, bike is now fine charges 14,75 volts at 3000 rpms, had three local dealers tell me stator had to be replaced at average cost of 1000 dollars, maybe i got lucky but repair on my bike was less than 5.00 and about 1 hr time frame. Thought this might help some one else. thanks dave

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What you did is a temporary fix, that plug is known to get hot and melt, but keep an eye on the stator, it will go out. If you don't have a volt meter on the bike I would suggest you get one.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
dacjmc, I'll go a step further than that. There are guys who hard wire the connection & claim the issues go away. I do not know the procedure however if you search the site for the topic it should come up. If it doesn't search one of our members "bstar" he was in that discussion plus did it to his 1200 I believe. I'm sure he would add input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts