Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a walk around this morning before a ride and my low beam is out. 30,000 miles and a bulb out. Its a 2010. I'll change both but the shop manuel really is no help. Whats the best way to get at them? And whats the best replacement bulbs? Thanks for any and all help.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
Oh that's a fun one. You can get the bulbs from the bottom and it is done all by feel.
You turn the front wheel so you can reach up and undo the wiring, rubber boot and spring to get the bulb out. Then you must be careful putting the new bulb in and try not to touch it and then again by feel reassemble it all.
Remove the plastic end from the old bulb and put it onto the new one, a little dab of bulb grease on the bulb prongs and plastic adapter prongs.
In my trike shop I got to swap out a lot of dead bulbs.
Cotton gloves work for me with bulb handling.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here's a couple YouTube videos on the subject. Looks pretty simple (as long as your meathooks aren't too large to fit through the shelter.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Hey the monkey has something on his finger and it take me about 10 min. to do the light and 10 min. get my hand back out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the response. The You Tube video was helpful. Now to try to stick my mitt up in there and get it out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Here's a piece of advice that I learned a while back. Wear a thin cotton glove (my b-in-law was a photo lab tech so the little ones he wore) and that way you won't get any of the acids or oils from your fingers/hands on the bulb and thereby creating a hot spot to burn it out. Also protcts the hand from scrapes a bit too. These are nylon but this is what I mean:
http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=3111

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's not a hard job once you do it once or twice, the hardest part is getting the spring to catch when you put the bulb back in. Some dealers will change it under warranty, some won't

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it done. I can't believe how easy it was. I didn't think replacing something on a Gold Wing was that easy. Like joe in calif said the spring was the hardest part. I was trying too hard to seat it. Once I lightened up it set. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts