Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a 2005 30th Anniversary edition Goldwing and while I am enjoying the power,torque, comfort and all that goes with it I am intrigued by the seemingly excessive amount of work required to fit a new air filter. It appears to me that the only way to access the air filter is to either remove the entire upper bodywork and fairing, or drop the engine out of the frame. Can this really be true? Such a fantastically conceived and implemented bike with such a disastrous design flaw? Or am I missing something here?

Oh, and a word of warning to any Wing owners who live outside the USA - don't order a Clymer maintenance/repair manual online. After you have agreed to a $34 price for the manual and provided your credit card details to pay, Clymer add another $50 for "shipping" to the price you thought you were paying. A scam of the worst sort.

Regards,

Malcolm White
Pretoria
South Africa:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't help with the air cleaner issue, as mine is fairly easy to get to and service, but...
You can download the service manuals for free at Goldwing docs.
My '81 came with a Clymer manual, which is decent, but not very detailed, imo. I d-loaded the Haynes, and factory manuals from the above location.
hth

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
1500 wings have the same problem, the fake tank has to come off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks AAple and detdrbuzzard. So I am not going daft and blind in my old age - it really is a poor piece of design. Very wierd that a company like Honda can make such a poor design choice. It's probably that age old problem with vehicle design and construction:- they are made to be quick and easy to build in the factory, not easy to maintain in the home garage. Ah well, it's a weekend in the garage for me instead of being out on the road this weekend .....

Malcolm

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not had to change the air filter in my 09 yet so don't know about it but I have a 80 Goldwing and you have to take the faux tank off to get to the air filter on it. Not as bas as the BMW LT though, you have to take all the tupperware off and remove the actual gas tank to get to the air filter.;)

Ken

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2003 Goldwing with 125,000 kilometer on it. I had changed the air filter many times. It is a time consuming job (approx 3 1/2 hrs) each time. I had installed a K & N air filter after the second change. Word of advise...the 4 screws that holds the fairing on each side. MARK or Number the location of the each screw they are different length for each hole! Take your time the plastic clips break very easy. Because it is a HONDA item, it is very expensive.
After removing the tuperware, unplugging all the wire harnesses, removing the cruise control module, the ECU, the air filter boxes is held in place with 4 or 6 screws (becarefull don't drop it into the HONDA hole)!!!! Which I had done. You will have to turn the bike upside down to find it.
Look on the bright side the brake pads (3 different sets) are easier to change then the air filter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have seen pictorial guides and instructions for doing it either here or on one of the other websites. I have not changed mine but one bit of advice I can give is do it when it is warm or in a heated garage as the tupperware is supposedly much easier to work with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Red Ron, You are absolutely correct. Coming the great white North in Ontario.
Don't try to work with tupperware in the cold / cooler weather the clips are very brittle.
Google "Steve Saunders Goldwing" he has an amazing instructional video on changing the air filter and other maintenance "stuff" for Goldwings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After I had the air filter on my 2001 G.W. changed at a local shop -- as part of a 25,000-mile service -- the ignition key will no longer turn to the lock position. Any thoughts as to how to remedy this situation?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was searching for help and advice when I came across this thread. Noticed they mentioned Steve Saunders' help page, and thought I'd update the link that helped me tremendously getting to the filter on my GL1500.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500airfilter.htm
What an amazingly helpful site. Hope it helps someone else. -s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok ;please can anybody tell me at how many miles should I change the air filter on my gl1800 ,because that's not written in the manual , thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have just acquired a 2005 30th Anniversary edition Goldwing and while I am enjoying the power,torque, comfort and all that goes with it I am intrigued by the seemingly excessive amount of work required to fit a new air filter. It appears to me that the only way to access the air filter is to either remove the entire upper bodywork and fairing, or drop the engine out of the frame. Can this really be true? Such a fantastically conceived and implemented bike with such a disastrous design flaw? Or am I missing something here?

Oh, and a word of warning to any Wing owners who live outside the USA - don't order a Clymer maintenance/repair manual online. After you have agreed to a $34 price for the manual and provided your credit card details to pay, Clymer add another $50 for "shipping" to the price you thought you were paying. A scam of the worst sort.

Regards,

Malcolm White
Pretoria
South Africa:confused:
yes, it is quite an ordeal to change and or service the air filter on the GL1800. You have to remove the top shelter, which involves removing the faring pockets, meter panel, faring moulding, seat, side covers. And you have to disconnect all the wire harness for the audio system. The service manual recommends replacing the filter every 12,000 miles. I installed a K&N filter and I clean it once a year. It is not easy and very frustrating because it does not make sense to have to do that much work for an air filter. But it is what it is. Good luck and safe riding.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok ;please can anybody tell me at how many miles should I change the air filter on my gl1800 ,because that's not written in the manual , thanks.
According to the Honda GL1800 Service Manual. The maintenance schedule for servicing the air cleaner is every 12,000 miles. Note 2: Service more frequently when riding in unusually wet or dusty areas.
The stock filter cannot be cleaned it must be replaced. I installed a K & N filter and clean it once a year when I do major maintenance. ie: plugs, change all fluids, flush the radiator(s). The air filter is not an easy item to service. It requires major dismantling of the top of the bike. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
On the Green Wing I pop off the ignition cover then loosen up the top cover. Bingo there it is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
On the Green Wing I pop off the ignition cover then loosen up the top cover. Bingo there it is.
that is on a GL1500 correct? Not that simple on the GL1800.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I have 20,800 miles to date on my '08. I'm going to ride through this season with the original air filter and fluids. Come winter and I put the bike up in the shop warehouse I'll change it all. The worst the air gets around here is during the early pollen season.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I finally did get around to changing mine a couple of weeks ago and it really wasn't all that hard just a lot of small time consuming tasks that all together make for a big job. One thing I did was to adjust my cruise control to take out the delay it had before engaging. Ended up having to let mine out about 5 turns. Oh, and the air filter, it had 30K miles on it and looked like it could have gone for another 30K miles. I also done the trick where one takes the wire screens off of the bottom of the old filter and used zip ties to fasten them over the end of the air intakes to keep mice from getting into and building a nest on the top of the filter.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I finally did get around to changing mine a couple of weeks ago and it really wasn't all that hard just a lot of small time consuming tasks that all together make for a big job. One thing I did was to adjust my cruise control to take out the delay it had before engaging. Ended up having to let mine out about 5 turns. Oh, and the air filter, it had 30K miles on it and looked like it could have gone for another 30K miles. I also done the trick where one takes the wire screens off of the bottom of the old filter and used zip ties to fasten them over the end of the air intakes to keep mice from getting into and building a nest on the top of the filter.
Those " clean " reports on many who have changed their filter is why I am in no hurry to do it. 12,000 mile air filter change may make sense for those who ride in L.A.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Those " clean " reports on many who have changed their filter is why I am in no hurry to do it. 12,000 mile air filter change may make sense for those who ride in L.A.
chopin,
I agree, I have found my K & N filter is always clean when I service it. I usually do it once a year so I exceed the 12K miles interval anyway. The 12K miles is what the shop manual schedules and I was passing on what Honda reccommends. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts