Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rather, I had a mechanic do it. Mileage 16,107. Dang thing is still quite clean. Will upload a photo of the old one. Honda says to change this every 12,000 miles. Unless you ride in very dusty or very wet conditions the air filter can be kept for at least 35,000 miles. 12,000 IMHO, miles is such a waste of time and money.

Here is the photo I took today of my old filter.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
A lot of guys on the GL1800 forum change their filter at 25k which is what I'm planning to do, unless I see a significant drop in mpg. If you are handy or can follow instructions you can do the job yourself. Just takes some time and patience..

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I'm with you on not changing it at 12,000 miles. The worst season around here in the mid-Atlantic is the pollen season for air filters. But a couple of short periods over a few years is not going to clog it. I hope. No way to check it. And if you do check it you are going to replace it regardless. Comanche: How much money did you " waste " ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of guys on the GL1800 forum change their filter at 25k which is what I'm planning to do, unless I see a significant drop in mpg. If you are handy or can follow instructions you can do the job yourself. Just takes some time and patience..
Unless you ride in a lot of dust or wet conditions you will probably find you can go longer than 25,000 miles. Wait until you see the photo of the filter I took off the bike today at 16,107 miles. It practically looks new. I held it up to the open sky light and could see through the filter in every spot. No air blockage what-so-ever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts