Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather, I had a mechanic do it. Mileage 16,107. Dang thing is still quite clean. Will upload a photo of the old one. Honda says to change this every 12,000 miles. Unless you ride in very dusty or very wet conditions the air filter can be kept for at least 35,000 miles. 12,000 IMHO, miles is such a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I agree, I change my first one on my 02 at 25,000 miles and it still was clean. I have 21,000 on my 08 and I'm heading out in 11 days on a 3,000 mile ride from Calif. through Arizona and Colorado. I'll change the oil before I leave and when I get back but I'll wait until about 30,000 before I do the air filter and plugs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe Honda recomends changing it at 12,000 because having a clean air filter is one of the best things for your motor.I think is better to change it out clean than to change it dirty.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I agree, I change my first one on my 02 at 25,000 miles and it still was clean. I have 21,000 on my 08 and I'm heading out in 11 days on a 3,000 mile ride from Calif. through Arizona and Colorado. I'll change the oil before I leave and when I get back but I'll wait until about 30,000 before I do the air filter and plugs.
Enjoy that ride,Sounds like fun,Be safe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Over 16,ooo on my 08 and haven't changed it yet mainly because "they say" it takes a lot of shop hours to get thru all the tupperware to get to it. Lots of folks that have garages have experienced mice building nests in them. Even saw one where a pack rat had stored piles of dog food in front of one! Hope when I do get around to changing it I don't experience those type problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Joe, what type of oil do you use? I just bought a 2007 GW with close to 14,000 miles on it and loving it! What do you think of synthetic oils? How was your trip? I am a born twicer!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Builder Steve, I use Honda oil now because I don't put a lot of miles on my bike anymore. On my 02 I used Shell Rotella T full synthetic. Walmart has it. Great stuff and a lot of Gold Wing riders on other boards use it also.
check this post out
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/61110-shell-rotella-synthetic-full-analysis.html
My trip was fine. We were going to be gone 10 days and head to Colorado but because of the bad weather there we only were gone 5 days and stayed in Arizona and New Mexico. But it was still a road trip. God kept us safe and we had a great time.
Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rather, I had a mechanic do it. Mileage 16,107. Dang thing is still quite clean. Will upload a photo of the old one. Honda says to change this every 12,000 miles. Unless you ride in very dusty or very wet conditions the air filter can be kept for at least 35,000 miles. 12,000 IMHO, miles is such a waste of time and money.
Yes I agree. I think I wasted also my time for reaching that 12,000 IMHO. I will wait for some photos of yours. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I agree. I think I wasted also my time for reaching that 12,000 IMHO. I will wait for some photos of yours. :D
Just about everyone I have spoken to except the Honda dealership owner says the way to determine when to change the air filter is when you are getting poorer gas mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Change air filter

I changed mine at 77,000 on my 08.............noticed my mileage was droppin a little.....
HisST

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually change mine around 18k miles. Those who live in a very dusty area may change more often. It is time consuming but not all that difficult. Gives me a chance to get under seat, etc. to thouroughly check & clean other items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone who has changed the air filter themselves....I can't get the instrument panel connector to break loose. Any suggestions? Have watched the Steve Saunders video and his came off easily. My fingers on both hands are sore from pushing down on the connector and pulling. By the way have an 06/nav/ABS.
Thanks,
Dave Kelley

·
Registered
5 Posts
My mechanic suggested a change at 30,000 miles but I had him change it early because we had a 6,000 mile trip coming up. I thought it would be a whole lot dirtier than it was. I could have waited.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
My mechanic suggested a change at 30,000 miles but I had him change it early because we had a 6,000 mile trip coming up. I thought it would be a whole lot dirtier than it was. I could have waited.
My winter project is to change the air filter. I have 27,000 +. Surprised to find many riders who are disappointed with the serviceable look of their filter but if you go through the trouble of removing it you sure are not going to put it back in.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto for me chopin, filter is due for changing. It's a tad below mileage requirement, but time is also a factor and well, I have some other things I need to take the tupperware off for anyway.:eek:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Ditto for me chopin, filter is due for changing. It's a tad below mileage requirement, but time is also a factor and well, I have some other things I need to take the tupperware off for anyway.:eek:
I should chronicle the episode with photo snap shots. Have the F. Harmon DVD's on how to, but posting that might incur copyright violations; which I find ironic because, although F. Harmon's DVD's are informative, they are far from professionally done. His disclaimer is his videos are for " entertainment purpose only ". And believe me , it lacks in entertainment too.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One man's entertainment is another man's anguish. Not really looking forward to it actually.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts