Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my goldwing last year from a private party. Finally decided to change out the hard-to-get-to air filter. And I’m glad I did. When I bought the bike it had 56,000 miles on it. From the looks of the filter, I don’t think it had ever been changed. I should get improved gas performance now.

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Oh no, not the red one!

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure what Cantankerous (Kerry) was referring to. If it was a filter designed for the GL1800 I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner. The red one is fine, just messing with you.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
OMG, YOU USED THE RED ONE??????? Hope it works out ok for you.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Probably too late to the party, but if you don't have the shelter on yet - consider covering your air intake tubes with some screen to keep critters out. The screen salvaged from the bottom of your old filter works well - just wrap it over the end and then wrap some electrical tape around the tube to cover the cut ends.

·
Registered
143 Posts
IMG_0863.JPG
This what my filter looked like before I changed mine over to a new one (oh yea, Yes I also installed the red one/it goes much faster now)
NOT sure where all the M&M's came from?? , (no one in my family, sits in the garage and sneaks M&M's/ at least no one is admitting to it....) and I've looked around for mice with rotting out teeth, and haven't seen one yet...LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 272167
This what my filter looked like before I changed mine over to a new one (oh yea, Yes I also installed the red one/it goes much faster now)
NOT sure where all the M&M's came from?? , (no one in my family, sits in the garage and sneaks M&M's/ at least no one is admitting to it....) and I've looked around for mice with rotting out teeth, and haven't seen one yet...LOL

Ronnie
That's so weird M&M's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok 50k I bought a 2005 last summer filter was original filter he never changed it.
Like you,I did it my self not that bad but requires patience and a few extra words 3 hrs
I also put screen over the inlet but used a zip tie to secure it.worked well did not look as clean as the one above but highly functional.
when i did that i also changed spark plug that was only a half hour job very easy my bike was delighted with the changes.
Lots more power........................

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on filter install:
After getting everything put back together, and taking it out for a spin, my cruise control didn't work, and my trip reset buttons didn't work. I thought, Oh crap, I'm going to have to tear it all apart again. Which I did. Went much faster the second time. I couldn't find anything that I did not plug back in on the cruise control. Decided to check the fuses. And sure enough the aux fuse was blown. So that fixed the cruise control. Then I noticed that I did not plug in the small display plug into the front of the key assembly. Everything is working fine.

Screens on air intake: Just saw your post on that. Great idea. I'll have to do that on the next change out. I'm not motivated to take it all apart again.

By the way, I just LOVE my Goldwing. I look for reasons to take short trips.

I've got a trip planned to Yellowstone Park next month. And a 6,000 crosscountry trip planned for August. (From Salt Lake To New York)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
you will be a long time before changing it again........... unless you live and drive in a much dustier area than I
at 45k mine still looked good enough for another that far

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bstone you disconnected the battery before the air filter job, correct? Don’t know why a fuse would blow during the process ...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts