Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a 1985 Aspencade. Changed the oil for the first time today. Used Amsoil Synthetic 10W-40. I have read all kinds of posts about how Synthetic oil will help make the bike run more quiet, no lifter noise......., shifts easier, easier to find neutral. My main question, (and this is going to sound stupid) do you get all these results just by changing the engine oil? I dont understand, how the shifting can get better with just changing the engine oil. I was reading on the quart of Amsoil, that it is made for the tranny too? I am new to all this Goldwing stuff, so not sure how everything works.

·
Premium Member
17,129 Posts
Your engine oil also lubes your transmission and clutch, on the wings.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
You have what is called a " wet clutch " . As Ron said the engine oil is also used by the transmission and clutch parts, unlike a car which has transmission fluid that is distinct and separate from the oil you change in your engine.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have what is called a " wet clutch " . As Ron said the engine oil is also used by the transmission and clutch parts, unlike a car which has transmission fluid that is distinct and separate from the oil you change in your engine.
Thank you too chopin!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
to answer your question an oil change can improve shifting, i notice it and i'm useing castrol for bikes

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
Synthetics really improve the shift characteristics of Goldwings. Of all the trannies Honda puts in bikes, the Wings are famous for being rough shifting, especially from first to second. Totally different from the 'snick, snick' action of Honda sport bikes and standards.:confused: Transmissions are pretty much bulletproof on Wings though:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts