Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that I need to change the front bearings on my 1800 to the tapered ones. Has anyone done this and if so what improvements have you seen.
Is it worth the change?

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Who told you that you needed to change? Are you having problems with the front end?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I would do it in a heartbeat if I needed to ( only at 22,000 miles ). Claims range from nothing special to taking care of the mid- speed freehand steering wobble and improving front tire wear.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Claims made that this cured the dreaded wobble! Never had the wobble unless I let go of the bars!
First tire change-went to stones 41ftr,42rr-no wobble of any kind after that. Suspect the 36frt my dealer told me was not correct!
Many use these when converting to a trike and installing a raked front end.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the front end wobble also. I changed the bearings to the tapered ones and my wobble went away. This has been almost two years ago and I have not had any issues yet. Have not even had the wobble come back. Getting better tire wear also on front tire. I have not regretted it one bit. Makes for a smoother ride and it is a lot more enjoyable knowing that the wobble is no longer there.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hiya snickle, welcome aboard and thanks for jumping in. I've heard mixed reviews about the bearings and the wobble sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have one GWRRA bud that has tried everything on his '05 and it just won't go away. Corret torque on the head bearings is critical though, and like mentioned, pressure of 41-42 psi seems to be a trusted figure amoung lots of us, it's where I keep mine and I have no cupping present (8000 mi/12000km), no head shake, and no handling issues at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the "Wobble" on my 02 GL1800 right out of the box brand new. Tried all the tires, psi, etc. NOTHING worked. I changed my steering head bearings to the SS tapered, NO WOBBLED......Gone. before I changed them I asked the Honda dealer if they recommend changing the OEM's out to taped. The response."Tapered bearings are definitley the way to go" again do you recommend them? Response. "Tapered bearings are good". They offered to do it @ the normal service rates. I did the work myself in my garaged. FYI the OEM bearings are steel balls in nylon races.......you figure it out..... Good luck & safe riding.

Reactions: Behind bars

·
Registered
741 Posts
Absolutely no need to change the bearing if there is issue related to them.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sorry, meant to say its not an issue unless you have problems related to a bad bearing.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I do not have the wobble yet. The steering is great. Bud just said that it handles better. Guess I will wait until I get the wobbles. Have new tires so that may disguise the wobble for now. Gonna put in the dynabeads instead of going for the centramatics also. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No, I do not have the wobble yet. The steering is great. Bud just said that it handles better. Guess I will wait until I get the wobbles. Have new tires so that may disguise the wobble for now. Gonna put in the dynabeads instead of going for the centramatics also. Thanks for the input guys.
Google RideOn and read about it before you buy the the b-b's to bounce around inside you tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could anyone please give me the part # for the tapered( I assume All Balls) bearing? I have to replace mine on an'02 1800>

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Could anyone please give me the part # for the tapered( I assume All Balls) bearing? I have to replace mine on an'02 1800>
No really a part number because they are after market. Wingstuff.com has them. " All Balls " steering head bearings.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might just try tightening them yourself first. They are supposed to be checked at 8k and 16k. Most don't. They will loosen from slight wear. I snug by feel, snug, check for smooth operation, snug and check. 21 ft lbs is a few short imho. Make sure you hand tighten the lock nut and then go up to 90 degrees. I suspect most of the tapered bearing affect is just properly tightened bearings. Give it a shot and see at happens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts