Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my copilot is ready to move from BMW r1100rt to Goldwing. We sat on one at the Harley dealer in Santa Maria and liked it very much. The Harley Ultra Classic was comfy but the Goldwing was even better. Price was better than the Ultra Classic, but more mileage. We are leaving mid Sept. for Frisco, CO. on the rt which is pretty comfy, we've got the top case and the 2 side cases.
Probably the best thing would be to rent a Goldwing for a weekend and do some day riding. It does look like GW riders are very relaxed on the bike, and they move in traffic effortlessly, as if the bike were more on the sport touring side.

Anyway, the rt is a very comfortable ride for me 1 up and very capable 2 up. If we decide to start doing regular distance/overnight rides, the GW may be in my near future.

Thanks for any comments.
:)

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa. The Wing is great for touring and I know you would not be disapointed. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our first 2 up bike was a 1999 r1100rt and it handled well but found it cramped for longer trips. We moved to a k1300gt which had a little more room but was plagued with problems. We rented a harley touring model and it had more room than either Bmw but seemed unrefined. At that point a salesman lured my wife to sit on a wing and she was hooked. I was concerned about size and handling but a ride dispelled that concern. It handles much lighter and the smooth, torquey engine makes beemer motors seem agricultural in comparison. It lacks a few features that bmws have such as electric windshield, tps, gear indicator,etc. , but ease and low maintenance costs are benefits. Also wings run on regular octane gas and have a superior extended warranty. A large dealer network is an added benefit compared to Bmw.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Greetings to the forum, you didn't actually mention where you're from but I know that there are places in the Southwest that rent Wings. I think your plan to rent one is a good one.

Good luck & ride safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our first 2 up bike was a 1999 r1100rt and it handled well but found it cramped for longer trips. We moved to a k1300gt which had a little more room but was plagued with problems. We rented a harley touring model and it had more room than either Bmw but seemed unrefined. At that point a salesman lured my wife to sit on a wing and she was hooked. I was concerned about size and handling but a ride dispelled that concern. It handles much lighter and the smooth, torquey engine makes beemer motors seem agricultural in comparison. It lacks a few features that bmws have such as electric windshield, tps, gear indicator,etc. , but ease and low maintenance costs are benefits. Also wings run on regular octane gas and have a superior extended warranty. A large dealer network is an added benefit compared to Bmw.
As a long time BMW rider, I would have to agree with every single point made in the above post. The boxer engine has its "character", as some would call it, but after owning 6 boxers, I now much prefer smoooth 6 cylinder power.

The GW is a big bike but riding it, you won't notice the weight, it hides it well and handles very well. I think the RT has a bit more cornering clearance but not by much. I had an 1150RT and much prefer the GW. I just with the wing had a gear indicator.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It looks like my copilot is ready to move from BMW r1100rt to Goldwing. We sat on one at the Harley dealer in Santa Maria and liked it very much. The Harley Ultra Classic was comfy but the Goldwing was even better. Price was better than the Ultra Classic, but more mileage. We are leaving mid Sept. for Frisco, CO. on the rt which is pretty comfy, we've got the top case and the 2 side cases.
Probably the best thing would be to rent a Goldwing for a weekend and do some day riding. It does look like GW riders are very relaxed on the bike, and they move in traffic effortlessly, as if the bike were more on the sport touring side.

Anyway, the rt is a very comfortable ride for me 1 up and very capable 2 up. If we decide to start doing regular distance/overnight rides, the GW may be in my near future.

Thanks for any comments.
:)
I rode from VA to TX last year to attend a class for work. I was on a 2007 Honda VTX1300 that had every creature comfort you could buy and around town, was like riding a LazyBoy... BUT I did feel pangs of jealousy seeing long haul GW riders on the road who looked so comfortable as they whisked thru interstate traffic seemingly without effort or fatigue.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
While not fmiliar with the RT model, I have had recent experience on both a 1200GS and a 1200ST. I can tell you in all honesty they are great bikes, but the GW feels like a rocketship in comparison. The BMWs have more cornering clearance and are lighter so handle more nimble in some ways, but no way I'd trade (all the riding was two-up). The boxer engine is a legend in it's own right, but the power is like a rubber band model airplane in comparison to the silky smooth rush of the GL. One roll of the throttle when I got home and back on my Wing lit my smile up more than ever.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello brhartw, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great comments! Now I just have to head over to Eagleriders and rent a fresh GL1800 for the weekend. See you on the road!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have never been on a BMW and I am sure it is a great ride. You will not be dissapointed with a GW one up or two. When my wife gets the chance to ride I have to make sure she is not sleeping since it is such a comfortable ride for both of us. We have taken some long rides and never worry about fatigue for either of us. You definately will enjoy the power and ease of handling charateristics. Be safe and enjoy!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts