Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Centramatics Info

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  crownfire 
#1 ·
I know there are some of you that have put centramatics on your Wings, just as I am planning to do when I put the new tires on. The rear (other than having to pull the rear wheel) is fairly straight forward as it's a single unit. The front however is a bit more complicated.
Once the front wheel is removed, the brake discs then have to com off. No biggie, just 6 or so bolts to take out right? Not so fast. The bolts are hardened steel and the bolt receivers are aluminum so torque specs are critical and the bolts use special lock-tite because of this. Honda recommends that any time the discs and/or calipers are removed that you replace the bolts. Right now these bolts are in very short (ok they're back-ordered) supply from Mother H. The solution is to very carefully cleanthe threads of all remaining lock-tite (a tap and die set may be required here) and then come reassembly very carefully re-apply the correct thread compound (27-60 steel/alum as well as green thread compound is what we use). As I mentioned before the torque specs are critical too.
Now if you have the ABS & air-bag, there are also the speed sensor wirers to contend with so be very very careful. One small mistake and you 'could' deploy the air-bag:eek: With all the dismantling and re-assembly it comes to about 3 hours in the shop...ouch. This can be done by the backyard method, but my purpose in telling you this is to make sure you are careful and don't make a mistake. A simple floor jack and the center stand will raise the bike just enough to remove the front wheel to accomplish the deed. Most shops have drop-outs in the lift bench to allow the rear wheel to drop out, but if you don't have a lift bench or you have a raised work platform to do the work on, having the bike on the center stand so that the bike's rear wheel hangs off the back just enough can assist in rear wheel removal. Just be sure the bike is well strapped down to avoid a nasty tipover, and this applys to front and rear removals;). Or you can do the on the grass laydown method that many videos show to take off the back hoop.
I'm going to do mine myself since I have the shop access and that way if I run into a serious bind, I can call for 'professional' help, but if I take my time and have my **** together it should go well. I'll let you know how it goes.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Thank you for confirming to me what I already know. That after I read this, I realize why I take my Wing for service and let someone who knows what they are doing take care of the bike. Like I said before, I have all the tools, just don't know how to use them....:)

#3 ·
Once you have them on, I am sure that you'll be pleased. With the set that I had put on in Houston in July, it extended the life of the tires like I can't believe.

The rear was replaced about two months ago and was at 34,000 miles plus. I would have continued to ride with it, but had a long ride two-up and didn't want to risk it (it still had not gotten to the wear bars!) Granted that I do a lot of my riding on straight roads like I-95, but I certainly can't complain about how well they're working for me.

#5 ·
I'll likely do both, I have to take the bike elsewhere to do the tires anyway so it's part of the job. I have to ride the bike back afterward so I don't want to ride on an unbalanced wheel for 100 miles either, and I'm not paying another dealership to mount my centramatics. If it comes to that I'll pay my own tech, but I think I'm capable enough to do it myself.

#6 ·
Im a fan of these balancers! I got 19,000K out of front & rear, both Bridgy's (could have got more but wanted to be safe)

No balancing after either, whack the tyre on & go! Wingmaster im curious! if the balancers are doing their job why would you need to balance after??

#7 ·
I added these last year with the new set of tires and am very pleased. They not only smooth out the ride but my tires still are looking new with over 10,000 miles on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.