Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know there is a forum for this topic but not to much info on it so hope i can get some comments here.

A few buddies of mine here are looking at the Centramatic balancers, any comments good or bad will be appreciated, we mainly have 2009 ABS/Airbag models among us.

I have read a lot of reviews on this product and only negative seems to be price!

Any thoughts or knowledge?

cheers
Paul

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Balancers and ceramic beads in the tires seem to be the choice of those who use such products. From what I've read the camp seems to be split down the middle. If I were to use one of them I would use the balancers simply because I have the TPMS system on my 09 and I don't think I want ceramic balls banging around inside the tire and possibly damaging the TPMS sending unit. I would have to weight that against the higher $$ of the balancers.

As a side note, I know there are some restrictions regarding the front end of the Goldwing when it comes to the airbag models. I would make sure that there would not be an issue with that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good suggestion Two Wheel Wing. I agree with you 100%!
I just had a new tire ('Stone) put on the rear, and they used the stick on weights. It is smooth, so no complaints.
chrisgl1800

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Over and above the rave reviews on these on Wingstuff and some other sites, I see one very real advantage to the balancers. They will constantly adust themselves to the tyre and wheel conditions as the wear progresses. Stick on or clamp weights can't self adjust (although I've seen the clamp weights move from severe impacts on four wheelers). There is also the aesthetic value of not having weights on the wheels to trap grunge and cause corrosion (hey, pretty is good right?). I have heard some complaints about the black finish of the balancers being poor, but the stainless ones should be foolproof IMO. They are on my list when it is time to put a new set of tyres on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over and above the rave reviews on these on Wingstuff and some other sites, I see one very real advantage to the balancers. They will constantly adust themselves to the tyre and wheel conditions as the wear progresses. Stick on or clamp weights can't self adjust (although I've seen the clamp weights move from severe impacts on four wheelers). There is also the aesthetic value of not having weights on the wheels to trap grunge and cause corrosion (hey, pretty is good right?). I have heard some complaints about the black finish of the balancers being poor, but the stainless ones should be foolproof IMO. They are on my list when it is time to put a new set of tyres on.
I agree, the constant adjustment with tyre wear and conditions has to be a good thing, also the reviews on even getting more of a smooth ride is hard to top!
After some research on the item that is my only concern TWT! the airbag issue, would fitting them be an issue with warranty etc and or airbag deployment and so on............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Expensive but I bit the bullet and installed on my 08 when I installed the new Bridgestones. Easy to install and works perfect. No vibrations at any speed. Does not interfere with the ABS or Air Bag.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Expensive but I bit the bullet and installed on my 08 when I installed the new Bridgestones. Easy to install and works perfect. No vibrations at any speed. Does not interfere with the ABS or Air Bag.:)
So you have them installed on an ABS/Air bag model?? That's good to know.

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Ed's Wing, almost forgot. Welcome to the forum from Pa. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Glad you found us..

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Thanks very much Ed's Wing, and yes welcome aboard. 1st post and you've already helped out..right on dude!

·
Super Moderator
14,473 Posts
I also have been looking at these. I know a couple people who have these installed and swear by them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome Ed's Wing

Glad to hear, can you expand on the install a bit did you have to drop both wheels completly out? I've read that some dont even take wheels right off! just sliding axle out far enough to place balancers in....

It would seem that i'm onto this product fairly early considering how far the Aussie market is behind USA..... Budoka - not that backward after all!!!! lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they seem to have a lot of fans! though not a lot of comments from consumers on this forum but plenty of reviews on wingstuff! Anyway just ordered 3 sets from them for three bikes here so we will see how we go! maybe update this post in a couple of months...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome Ed's Wing

Glad to hear, can you expand on the install a bit did you have to drop both wheels completly out? I've read that some dont even take wheels right off! just sliding axle out far enough to place balancers in....

I put on new Bridgestones at the same time so yes I took the wheels out. Could you do without removing wheel? By the time you get the front axle out it's only another minute to get the wheel out and I'm sure you'd save yourself alot of grief. The back wheel has to come out to install, it fits between the wheel and the hub.:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well just a update, the four other rider buddies and myself have put the Stainless balancers on and lov'em! all the good reviews are correct in what they say about the differences in the ride now, we can not comment yet about the tire wear but i just read one review claiming he has got 30% more out of his tire, so we may start seeing some more now that guys have had them on for a while, for now 5 of us are stoked with the balancers and what they do....
The install with the right gear takes less than an hour!
Most of our GW's are ABS & Airbag models, if your budget permits! go get some...

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little off topic, but has anybody used this product? I'm curious about it. If the reviews are correct, it would be a combination of a flat tire protection system (sic) and the equivalent of a Centramatic Balancer, at a lot less price. The product description and reviews seem to indicate it does the same thing as a Centramatic Balancer durng the life of the tire. And it supposedly doesn't interfere with any TPMS hardware or ABS system. Used by many commercial and government agencies, including Law Enforcement and the military.

http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

·
Banned
51 Posts
I am not familiar with this can some attach a link ,,how do they work? I am due for tires soon. What is expensive?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My concern would be; unless you're rolling fast enough, wouldn't you feel the "unblanced tires" ?
Also, does a tire change its balance point ?

Thanks
Bingo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts