Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Gold Wing last week. For the life of me I can't get the bike up on the center stand. Is there a trick? :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,764 Posts
I bought a Gold Wing last week. For the life of me I can't get the bike up on the center stand. Is there a trick? :confused:
Been there, done that. There are some videos out there showing some burly guy's techniques, Someone will post them. Your going to get a lot help , advice, and references soon here. I can't help you at the moment because I'm reflecting on the challenge I had when I bought my bike last November. Let me just say, when you have the proper foot stance and you think your ready to go with it, just say " Crap baby! Your going up or we are both going down together ! ". Anger helped me. Stand by for better technical help from our good members. I feel your frustration.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The way i was showed is............

Have bike on side stand with you standing on the left side beside it looking forward. You will need the passenger left footrest folded up. Grab the seat handle with your right hand and the left handlebar grip with your left hand and center the bike on its wheels just like it would be if riden. Put your right foot on the center stand and push it down while pulling the seat handle back at the same time and bingo on center stand you go. Your left hand on the handle bars is just for balence. So simple my wife Bev can do it. Don't tell her I phrased it that way.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
It helps if you have the rear suspension on a high number. That raises the rear end and gives you a little more clearance to raise the bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do it exactly the way Marc described.. I also found that after the Traxxion suspension conversion it became much easier, the bike sits higher with the traxxion suspension so you don't have to lift it as much to get it on the center stand.. It really isn't difficult, but needs you to build up a bit of confidence as there is a lot of weight balancing on the two tyres whilst you are trying to lift it up and it doesn't feel stable. Once up everything is good.. As mentioned, start with the bike on the side stand, raise the rear left passenger footplate, then follow Marc's directions.. if unsure have someone stand on the other side of the bike the first few times to help if you get stuck/worried. Even if you drop the bike, you are unlikely to damage anything (the crash bars work nicely) but you then need to watch the other video of how to pick up a downed wing!! :)

Gary

·
Registered
91 Posts
I go nuteral on my bike occasionally, but as red says, only try putting it on the center stand when the bike is in neutral.. :)

Gary

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ok...I have a '81 Goldwing Intersate...Can not get it up on the center stand if you paided me...probably do to the saging suspension (or maybe my saging gut), Looking at upgrading to '10 Goldwing...Tell me why if they can put in heated seats, heated handle bars and electric reverse...honda can not put in a power center stand...obviously its been an issue since the first day of Goldwing birth...

Ok...is there an after market power center stand...?

MarkH...

·
Registered
12 Posts
center stand

One thing i can add to the answers above is, after you push the stand down gently rock the bike until you feel both center stand feet on the ground then lift with your right hand back on the seat rail and push the stand down hard with your right foot. (use the part of your shoe next to the heel, not your toe) ) I also give a tug rearwards on the handlebar. My left foot usually ends up in the air as its going back.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
No aftermarket power operated center stand that I know of but you can get a center stand from the folks at Baker Bilt that is just as good. As long as you have reverse on your bike their replacement stand works great. Just put it on the ground and hold it with your left foot and back on to it. When you are ready just ride away. I had one on my 1500 and am planning another for my 1800 at Americade. Its easy enough to put on but due to old age , laziness and sundry other things I'll have them do it. Great Folks @ Baker-Bilt

·
Registered
689 Posts
Stand on center stand and lift up and back. Be sure to have the bike straight up and down s the foot of the stand touches ground . Do it a few times and it will become easy.
Yes there is an aftermarket stand that is a drive off. I dont like it. The bike can roll off, limits height when preforming some jobs.

·
Premium Member
23,764 Posts
I guess when " saintein " gets his bike on the center stand he will let us know, I hope. We are all rooting for you " saintein " ! Wherever you are.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This isn't as simple a problem as many think.My son and I have owned a few wings and
we've always been able to get them up on their center stand without much trouble.
Recently he bought a decked out to the max. 82A , he also has a fairly stock 82A.
He has no problem getting the stock 82A on its stand but the decked out 82A is very
hard to do. He put new rear airshocks on it,they were leaking air.He pumped them up
but still its hard to get up on the stand. He took the chrome guard/light bar off to change the rear tire and found the light bar was quite heavy.He's a pretty big guy
and when he says he can't get it to rock up onto the stand without struggling I say
something more is going on here than we're use to.
My 85 LTD rocks up onto it center stand first time every time and its a heavier bike that an 82A

-Robert-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts