Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2006 goldwing three months ago and am having a problem. How do I get it onto the center stand? I had a 550 Kawasaki LTD 30 years ago and had no problem putting it on the c/s, but haven't been able to do so with the Wing. I don't know if it's the weight that has me buffaloed or if I'm just getting old, but each time I try it feels like it wants to lay over on me. Is there any kind of trick to help me overcome this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2008 i just bought new and just tried the center stand for the first time this morning. I had a spotter because I wasn't quite sure how it was going to work out due to the weight of the GL.

First, I made sure the bike was in neutral. Then, I stood on the left side of the bike and put my left hand on the left handlebar. I put my right hand on the left handgrip for the passenger seating. I then pushed the bike into an upright position off the side stand and found the balance (which was surprisingly easy to do with this bike). Using my left foot, I pushed down on the center stand until it touched the ground.

Now, before I continued (and this is the critical part), I gently rocked the bike back and forth until I was absolutely sure that both feet of the center stand were solidly on the ground. NOTE: If I have ever had any trouble in the past with center stands, it is because both feet of the center stand were not solidly in contact with the ground. This can cause the bike to lurch or be too heavy to manipulate.

Once ready, and with both center stand feet on the ground, I stood up tall, pushing down with my left foot. I think the trick here is that you don't really want to lift with your hands and arms as much as you stand up tall with your legs. Your arms are more for stability than lifting, although you are pulling against the bike just a bit.

When I did this, the GL just jumped onto the center stand with very, very little effort. So little, in fact, that I was taken by surprise and my girlfriend commented that I had more trouble with my FJR than I did with the Goldwing.

I hope this helps, and if I'm not clear, please ask away and I'll try to explain better.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Agree with the above post. Very good points but if having trouble I would pull up with the right hand on the side grip.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... Having Both Center Stand Feet On The Ground Is Part Of The Trick And Really Helps With The Balance Of The Bike ... I Stand Facing Forward Left Hand On Left Grip - Right Foot On Center Stand As I Step Down I Lift On Passenger Hand Rail And Bingo It's Up ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I got it on the c/s this afternoon for the first time. It was still a little tricky feeling, but I believe it will get easier each time I do it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hmmm, I was thinking about an removable extention for the pad you step on might improve the leverage situation thus making it a bit easier.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hmmm, I was thinking about an removable extention for the pad you step on might improve the leverage situation thus making it a bit easier.

I agree. Sometimes I have to reposition my foot because I realize that my foot is not at the "sweet spot". the pad is not big enough.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Getting it up on the center stand is a trick, but IMHO getting it down is tougher!:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting it up on the center stand is a trick, but IMHO getting it down is tougher!:eek:

I have this trouble as well. To get the bike off the center stand I have to stand along side and basically man handle it down. The usual method of rocking forward does not work for me. Ideas?

Thx,
Michael B
Vancouver, WA
85 GL1200

·
Registered
174 Posts
Remember when you are lifting on the grab rail, you are trying to lift a lot of weight. Try pulling toward the back of the bike as much or more than lifting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My method matches the other posts. I use my right foot and just push down with my foot. The bike will just rise up for you. Another trick is to have a little extra air in the rear. I run mine on 8 or 9 for solo and I know folks that run solo even higher. That helps with the lift. As for rocking it down I do that with ease. Even when the bike is facing uphill. Just grip both bars firmly and push your upper body back a bit. Bring your body forward and when your elbows have a bit of a bend in them push with you arms and the momentum of your body and the push of your arms will roll it right off.

·
Registered
691 Posts
... Howdy ... How About Like In The Old Westerns Jump On Over The Back And Hit The Ground Runnin' ... Happy Trails ...
At my age I would have to take off the trunk. But, it might work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
... Howdy ... Having Both Center Stand Feet On The Ground Is Part Of The Trick And Really Helps With The Balance Of The Bike ... I Stand Facing Forward Left Hand On Left Grip - Right Foot On Center Stand As I Step Down I Lift On Passenger Hand Rail And Bingo It's Up ... Happy Trails ...

I agree. Yeah it's tricky. When i first got my bike i needed to have a fellow winger show me the trick to getting in up on the stand. After a few tries i'm good at it now..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts