Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum and love it! I'm almost 59 and just bought a 2002 GL1800, and simply cannot get it on the center stand.....I'm familiar with the physics involved, actually owned a Goldwing before. The issue is that I had my right knee replaced almost a year ago and simply can't find the strength to do it without far too much pain in my knee!! Any suggestions of other options?????

·
Registered
560 Posts
I actually just saw a YouTube video for a Center stand assist device. Here’s the link:
I don’t know how much it costs or if it is still available but there is a website to follow at the end of the YouTube video. Maybe this will work for you!

·
Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,721 Posts
I have one of those assist things @Maui mentioned and its great! It really makes the deed easy to do! It helps to run the rear suspension preload up to maximum. I put mine on the center stand quite often like when I check tire pressures. I put the front stem where I need it then put the bike on the center stand. Then I can spin the rear where it's accessible. I also put it up on the stand when I wash the bike.

·
Administrator
29,797 Posts
More than a few folks will put a 1" thick or so block of wood in their saddlebag. They drive the rear tire on the block which then in turn raises the centerstand that same distance making it easier to deploy. Only thing of issue is to remember the block after you are finished, and carrying it around with you as well.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
More than a few folks will put a 1" thick or so block of wood in their saddlebag. They drive the rear tire on the block which then in turn raises the centerstand that same distance making it easier to deploy. Only thing of issue is to remember the block after you are finished, and carrying it around with you as well.
Yep, Ron Robertson showed me that one time we visited them and it works like a charm. Of course I never think of it until I've already started to get bike up on the stand 😦, so I can't say I do it regularly....

Reactions: fossil92 and Maui

·
Registered
150 Posts
Right after I bought a 07 1800 I under went a "Whipple procedure", Pancreas surgery that knocked the wind out of my sails. I could not lift that bike on the center stand!! I got a assist lever from Phil's Farkels in Texas. Amazing is the best description. A small bracket bolts onto the center stand and this machined lever fits in and bingo!!!! The sucker is up on the stand. Then I found a 99 1500. I thought I might need the lever assist, nope!! For some reason the 1800 is harder to get up on the stand even though it is lighter. I also have a 1980 GL1100 standard. I can almost lift it up in the air to put it on the stand!! What a difference!

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
Looks like you have some good options. Hope you find the one that works best for you.

Reactions: finley467

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dumb question - why is it important for you to use the center stand? I mean, if it's difficult then avoid it and just use the kickstand?
Checking oil levels, etc...

I have one of those assist things @Maui mentioned and its great! It really makes the deed easy to do! It helps to run the rear suspension preload up to maximum. I put mine on the center stand quite often like when I check tire pressures. I put the front stem where I need it then put the bike on the center stand. Then I can spin the rear where it's accessible. I also put it up on the stand when I wash the bike.
I actually saw this on a Youtube video and was impressed. I mainly wanted to know if there were any other options....so you like yours?

Thats actually a great idea!!!

·
Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,721 Posts
I actually saw this on a Youtube video and was impressed. I mainly wanted to know if there were any other options....so you like yours?
Yes! Absolutely! Hardly need to lift the bike at all. Leverage is mostly with your foot.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In my saddlebag, I keep a 2x6 board with me at all times and tools to change either rear or front tire. My 2x6 has a 2x4 standing on edge and screwed to the front of the board so that when I drive up on the board the 2x4 acts as a stopper. I also carry 4 inch square 2x4 to put under the side stand after driving up on the board. This is to keep the bike straighter for getting it on the center stand. I also keep the same size boards in my garage next to where I park the bike so I'm not always getting into the saddlebag and disrupting it's organization. My bike has a lowering kit and I also max the rear shock at 25 which also helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a ride-off Center Stand. It's lower, and super easy to get on. All you do is come to a stop, put the bike in reverse, put your left foot back and on the lever, and push down, then start backing up. The bike will lever itself on to the stand. Highly recommend. Also, when you are ready to go, just put the bike in gear, and accelerate, the bike drops off the stand and you are off and running.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a ride-off Center Stand. It's lower, and super easy to get on. All you do is come to a stop, put the bike in reverse, put your left foot back and on the lever, and push down, then start backing up. The bike will lever itself on to the stand. Highly recommend. Also, when you are ready to go, just put the bike in gear, and accelerate, the bike drops off the stand and you are off and running. View attachment 282570
What year is yours and is it stock? It looks just like mine.

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
Excellent idea, but when I tried this in my garage today, the center stand just slid backwards on the cement floor. I tried it several times, tried to practically do a hand stand on it,but no luck.
The Wizard's is a modified stand. From the picture it's not as tall and doesn't lift the rear wheel off the ground.

Placing a board under the rear wheel may work for you. It reduces the lift needed to get it up on the stand. Although technique is important. You don't lift with your arm, you leave it straight and push down with your leg. Cruiseman has a good video. Although I don't turn around like he does, I face forward and my toes are pointed to the front.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts