Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 06 and I already have the helmets with the I-com. Plug right in and all is well. How do I hook up my cell phone(no blue tooth) to tie into the I-com system? The previous owner had a satellite radio cabled into the auxiliary and I have no plans at this time to use that. Can the auxiliary handle both speaker and mic or is it strictly input? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi qball, I'm curious about that too. The one thing I can tell you is to set your phone up for auto-answer.....the same as if you were using the ear plugs and the little mic or blue tooth. I just got a satellite radio set-up for my '09 and includes an additional plugin for the audio hook-up. what I mean is, the radio plugs into the audio, yet there is an another plugin to plug the original audio hook up into. So, if I'm listening to the satellite radio, does the phone cut in if some one calls ? I haven't tested it yet since the bike is in the garage where it can't pick up the satellite signal. I'll be watching this one...Lyndon

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW I have a Magellan GPS unit that connects to my cell phone via bluetooth. When a call comes in it vibrates on my belt and the screen changes on the GPS to let you know who is calling. I touch the screen on the GPS and it answers my phone. I have the GPS set to transmit the sound via FM channel 87.7MHZ. I set one of my presets to that station. So when the phone rings I change my radio station and touch the screen on my GPS. I can now hear the person calling loud and clear in my headset. The bad part is that I have to talk loud toward my GPS unit so they can hear me.

I consider this my poor man's setup. But it works. I usually just tell them I will call them back when I stop. But I never miss a call. Plus with the caller ID displayed on the GPS screen you may not want to answer the call from certain folks. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information and welcome to the forum. I can see how that would work, but talking loud to the GPS would definitely get annoying after about 3 sentences. I think I could accomplish basically the same thing by just plugging in the phone to the I-com system with the built in aux input.
The only non-poor man solutions I see in my searches are hundreds of dollars and that's more than I'm willing to spend to simply avoid having to squeeze the phone into my helmet for 5 minutes while I check in at home.
I'll just have to keep looking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the information and welcome to the forum. I can see how that would work, but talking loud to the GPS would definitely get annoying after about 3 sentences. I think I could accomplish basically the same thing by just plugging in the phone to the I-com system with the built in aux input.
The only non-poor man solutions I see in my searches are hundreds of dollars and that's more than I'm willing to spend to simply avoid having to squeeze the phone into my helmet for 5 minutes while I check in at home.
I'll just have to keep looking.
I don't like yelling at the GPS but since this doesn't cost any $ its better than nothing. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
FWIW I have a Magellan GPS unit that connects to my cell phone via bluetooth. When a call comes in it vibrates on my belt and the screen changes on the GPS to let you know who is calling. I touch the screen on the GPS and it answers my phone. I have the GPS set to transmit the sound via FM channel 87.7MHZ. I set one of my presets to that station. So when the phone rings I change my radio station and touch the screen on my GPS. I can now hear the person calling loud and clear in my headset. The bad part is that I have to talk loud toward my GPS unit so they can hear me.

I consider this my poor man's setup. But it works. I usually just tell them I will call them back when I stop. But I never miss a call. Plus with the caller ID displayed on the GPS screen you may not want to answer the call from certain folks. :)
I have the same setup with my Garmin Nuvi 680. I find that if I have to have an "extended" conversation I tell them I'll call them back and then I will pull off the road or wait until an exit or rest stop and call them back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi qball...
Im new to the forum but thought Id throw out something Ive been looking at for the same thing. When looking on the web for a solution I came across a J&M setup to add bluetooth to the audio system via the AUX input.
(J&M Honda GL1800 Gold Wing Bluetooth AUX Integration Kit)

The list is 375.00 but I found it here on Wing Stuff for 279.99.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/31903_J_M_Honda_GL1800_Gold_Wing_Bluetooth_AUX_Input

Now Im still looking at the setup and not sure that its completely worth the money but it does solve a few problems :)

If anyone has any experience with the system ....I'd sure like to hear about it.

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts