Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CD PLAYER PROBLEM.
Don't know how to start a new thread so I'll come in here.
I have a problem with the 6 stack cd player in my 06 GW. It was playing away nicely then all of a sudden ...nothing. The dash display flashed "check chng mech" when you select,say,Disc 1...the "1" flashes a few times then the screen changes to the "check chng mech" again. ( I presume that stands for 'check changing mechanism'," I've tried opening up the trunk and accessing the unit intending to eject one or all of the discs and i can't even do that.When i try to eject, the dash panel flashes "no disc' even though i know the unit has 6 discs in it.
I dont want to change the sound system for anything else, Ipods and such. I just wondered if any of you guys had some idea where i could start to look for the problem.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers
Graham from down under
....Man's got to know his limitations.....

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Hang in there Graham I'm sure one of the guys with a cd player will be along to help.

PM Sent to you.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I don't have a cd on my bike, but based on the message and the fact that you can't eject the cds in the unit, I would have to say it is either a problem with the unit or one of the cds is jammed and will not release. I assume those are sealed units and to take one apart would require special tools. You might want to find someone in your area that works on cd units and see if they can release the cd or check out the mechinism.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not sure who supplies the CD changers to Honda anymore. Panasonic used to produce them for Honda and Acura cars and the first one we had was very toublesome. They replaced it twice while we owned the Legend. Only thing that ever went wrong with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, its the fact that it actuallyflashes the message that makes me think it must be something common, if you know what i mean.I havent found anyone yet who seems to know anything about them, but i'll keep looking and let you know how it all pans out.
Cheers
Graham from down under
"a mans gotta know his limitations"

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you do not want to replace the CD player w/anything else, about your only option os to contact http://www.sierra-mc.com/ via their phone number.
Also, while you're on the web sight, check out the BikeMP3, you might change your mind aboout replacing the CD player!

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
It may be the cartridge

I had the same problem with a 6 disc changer in a 2000 Chrysler. I bought a used replacement from a salvage yard. Once it was installed and working (using a second, aftermarket cartridge), I tore into the origanal. I got the thing unjammed, removed the cartridge. I then put the original stock cartridge into the replacement unit, and WTF! Now this unit was jammed. Long story shortened up some, I eventually got it cleared and working OK, never used the culprit 6 disc cartridge again, only the aftermarket one, and never had another problem. So-o-o-o this might be your culprit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, thats very interseting. I took your advice and checked out Bike MP3 and i think that is the way to go. It answers all my questions, does exactly what i want it to do, and probably a lot cheaper than fixing my old CD player, which will only play up again later anyway.
Thanks for all your help fellas
Cheers
Graham from down under.
"A mans gotta know his limitations"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, thats very interseting. I took your advice and checked out Bike MP3 and i think that is the way to go. It answers all my questions, does exactly what i want it to do, and probably a lot cheaper than fixing my old CD player, which will only play up again later anyway.
Thanks for all your help fellas
Cheers
Graham from down under.
"A mans gotta know his limitations"
I've never had the CD player on my Wing, but I have installed the BikeMP3 Player. It is installed in the trunk on the left side. It uses virtually no space, the SD card holds more songs than I can remember, is controlled by the Wing's OEM CD controller, and it sounds great. It does NOT display the title/artist, but I printed out a play list that I can refer to if I want to. I had a little problem loading my SD card, Pete emailed me my own personal instructions and I got 'er done. Picture shows additional SD card in the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you do not want to replace the CD player w/anything else, about your only option os to contact http://www.sierra-mc.com/ via their phone number.
:)

I took your advice and decided to go for the bike MP3 player. I got on the phone today ( Brisbane ,Australia) and everyone i spoke to were like Sargeant Schultz..." I know nothing" they havent even heard of a MP3 player that is made for the goldwing.I'll keep trying, but if all else fails, i will have to get one from the states.My son works in Dallas, so he might be able to source one for me. At $110 , why would you bother fixing the CD player ?
Thanks for all your help
cheers
Graham from down under
"A mans got to know his limitations"

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
:)

I took your advice and decided to go for the bike MP3 player. I got on the phone today ( Brisbane ,Australia) and everyone i spoke to were like Sargeant Schultz..." I know nothing" they havent even heard of a MP3 player that is made for the goldwing.I'll keep trying, but if all else fails, i will have to get one from the states.My son works in Dallas, so he might be able to source one for me. At $110 , why would you bother fixing the CD player ?
Thanks for all your help
cheers
Graham from down under
Good for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Cheers,
Dawg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never had the CD player on my Wing, but I have installed the BikeMP3 Player. It is installed in the trunk on the left side. It uses virtually no space, the SD card holds more songs than I can remember, is controlled by the Wing's OEM CD controller, and it sounds great. It does NOT display the title/artist, but I printed out a play list that I can refer to if I want to. I had a little problem loading my SD card, Pete emailed me my own personal instructions and I got 'er done. Picture shows additional SD card in the case.
Hi Barnstormer
My Bike MP3 player arrived from the States a couple of days ago. I got it from Cyclemax in ohio, i think it is.
It was so easy to fit.However, i had downloaded some music on a Flash stick (usb) and some on a sd card. the SD card is my preferred method, because its more compact and less chance of bumping and breaking it, but when i put it in it wouldn't work. The flash stick works a treat, but i would like to know what i have done wrong with the SD card. Any suggestions ?
Cheers
Graham from down under

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Barnstormer
My Bike MP3 player arrived from the States a couple of days ago. I got it from Cyclemax in ohio, i think it is.
It was so easy to fit.However, i had downloaded some music on a Flash stick (usb) and some on a sd card. the SD card is my preferred method, because its more compact and less chance of bumping and breaking it, but when i put it in it wouldn't work. The flash stick works a treat, but i would like to know what i have done wrong with the SD card. Any suggestions ?
Cheers
Graham from down under
Contact Pete at BikeMP3 and explain your problem. You will have much more success getting information from him than from me. He'll know what questions to ask you and will resolve it for you. I had trouble at first and he got me straightened out, and that's no easy task.

Try this : https://bikemp3.com/contactus.sc

·
Registered
219 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts